The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 10th, 2024, 7:14am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gain and phase margin (Read 2743 times)
sapna

Gain and phase margin
Jan 21st, 2012, 4:41am

How can we derive gain and phase margin for a ciruit?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Gain and phase margin
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2012, 5:00am

hello,
Seems you are a beginner in ckt design, so please refer razaavi analog integrated ckt book or any electronics book.

Take a circuit and Draw small signal picture, now write expression for Phase and gain corresponding to the whichever Transfer function you are interested. And then find the frequency where gain equal to 1 and find the Phase corresponding to this Frequency. Find 180-phase, this is Phase margin.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2012, 5:05am

raja.cedt wrote on Jan 21st, 2012, 5:00am:
... write expression for Phase and gain corresponding to the whichever Transfer function you are interested..........

Gain and phase margin are defined and can be identified for one single transfer function only: The transfer function of the (open) loop ("loop gain").

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
A Kumar R
Community Member

India
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2012, 5:29am

hi,

please read "Frequency Compensation" chapter of analog circuit design book by razavi. It has a very good explanation about stability, phase-margin, gain-margin..etc...

Thanks
Anil

View Profile   IP Logged
sapna

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2012, 5:37am

i have to check the stability of circuit in closed loop configuration. should i consider the transfer function in closed loop configuration to find the gain and phase margins?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2012, 6:04am

hello,
Please note that Gain and margins are the indicative of the how stable the system if you close the loop. So you have to find for the open loop and that gives indication of stability.

Otherwise let us say you have system and you want to know about the stability, just find the poles and check if they are in LHP and bit far from the jw axis, you are done. But this tedious many times and need to estimate all kinds of feedback factors
Thanks,
Raj.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2012, 1:54pm

sapna wrote on Jan 21st, 2012, 5:37am:
i have to check the stability of circuit in closed loop configuration. should i consider the transfer function in closed loop configuration to find the gain and phase margins?

Of course, you can chec0k if the system is stable or not in a closed-loop configuration - for example by applying a step at he input and watch the output. For a stable system the ouput must within a limited time period return to the quiescent condition. However, in general it is not possible to assess the phase or gain margin. For this purpose you must perform open-loop measurements resp. simulations.
Exception: For a 2nd order system the gain peaking in the frequency domain or the overshoot in the time domain is a measure of the phase margin. For this purpose, some curves for evaluation are available.

View Profile   IP Logged
sapna

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2012, 2:36am

i will derive the gain and phase margin in open loop configuration and look at its stability .i hope this is the correct method.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2012, 3:34am

sapna wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012, 2:36am:
i will derive the gain and phase margin in open loop configuration and look at its stability .i hope this is the correct method.

It is the correct PRINCIPLE.
If the applied method is correct depends....
You should know that opening of a feedback loop may cause problems (bias point lost, loading condtions altered). For this purpose, some specific methods have been proposed (Middlebrook method, series injection,..)

View Profile   IP Logged
sapna

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:17am

i know that the system is stable in open loop configuration .. and unstable once i close the loop.should i find gain margin n phase margin keeping loop open and what should be the values of gain and phase margin to show that the system is unstable ? In simulations I see the phase going to 180 degree when i close th eloop .does that mean system is unstable ? In calculations should i get phase margin around 180 degree to prove its unstable_?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:29am

hello sapna,
You are wrong, any system can be unstable weather it could be open loop or closed loop. While calculating you have to take loop gain (means simply open loop gain*feedback factor). To prove your system unstable phase has to tough 180 in theory (but if it is near to 135 or 140, practically it is useless)

Thanks,
Raj.

sapna

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:34am

i am getting phase margin close to 180 degree.what about the gain margin in theory?

View Profile   IP Logged
sapna

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:42am

i get phase angle for open loop transfer function at gain cross over freq as 57 degree .. so that means my phase margin will be 180+57 ?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2012, 3:38am

hello,
why don't you upload the phase plot..it is not even basic level of discussion. If you get your Phase 57 deg means -123, so Phase margin is 180-123=57.

Thanks,
raj.

sapna

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2012, 4:48am

this is the gain and phase plot i am looking at

basicckt.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.