The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 10th, 2024, 3:14am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
basic doubt regarding oscillator (Read 4690 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
basic doubt regarding oscillator
Jan 29th, 2012, 4:51am

hello all,
for example in case of ring oscillator (single ended) always people talk about odd number of inverters, i am expecting it will oscillate with even inverters. here is my explanation.

When we have odd number of inverters, 180 degrees loop phase has to be contributed all inverters and hence the frequency corresponding to the oscillator frequency. So in case of even number also this can be possible becaz all inverters will contribute 360 phase and hence this is the frequency of the oscillator. I have doubt here, even 0 frequency also one solution, so at what frequency oscillator will sustain and why so.

The main intention behind this Question is to learn some basics and i am well ware of ring oscillators and in case of differential delay elements even is posb!!

Thanks,
RAJ.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: basic doubt regarding oscillator
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2012, 2:02pm

if they are ground referenced inverters an even number of inverters will create a 2 state latch.

if they are differential inverters, you can reverse the polarity of one to get an even number of delay cells to oscillate.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2012, 4:29pm

Hi,

If I am understanding the question correctly, then I think it is quite interesting. Supposing you have a ring oscillator with an even number of inverters that are AC coupled so that the loop gain at DC is zero, I'm not sure if it would oscillate.

In a cross-coupled oscillator, you do have an even number of inversions, but all possible oscillation frequencies are filtered except for one which is a result of the bandpass function.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2012, 5:13pm

Raj - sure, use a huge cap to bypass one of the inverters Wink

I don't think it can be done. For an oscillator you need something that tends to pull you back down if you are going up. With the proper delay the timing will be such that it reinforces the oscillation.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2012, 1:23am

hello guys,
thanks for the reply, ac coupling is interesting but oscillator should have dc operating point, do you think with coupling capacitors it will be posb. But my Question is it can be designed with two operating points, one is at dc and another is at designed frequency, so which operating point oscillator choose.

In general it will be latched at DC, i want the reason.

@robg: i didn't understand this in your previous post...I don't think it can be done

Thanks,
Raj.

aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2012, 1:44am

Hi Raj,

for an even number of stages, when it reaches the latches state, there is no mechanism to bring it out of the latched state. I don't think you can consider this an oscillation at DC...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2012, 2:43am

hello aaron_dc,
yes i know it will be latched at dc. What i mean to ask is out of two operating points why it is selecting DC? (for example take a -ve feedback amplifier and it has one operating point and for +ve feedback there are multiple points).

May be i am wrong i want to understand this clearly

Thanks,
Raj.

aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2012, 2:56am

Hi Raj,

what I mean is that once the voltage hits the rail, the loop gain goes to zero. So how can it oscillate? I'm not sure if my explanation is sufficient. Are you looking for a small-signal explanation?

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
loopantenna

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2012, 7:05am

With an even number of single ended inverters there is no oscillating solution. Each inverter introduces a 180 degree phase shift therefore you need an odd number to satisfy the Barkhausen phase criteria to sustain an oscillation . If the first inverter output is high (for example) with an even number of inverters you produce a low signal which fed back to the first one does not produce any change. If you want to look at inverters from the analog point of view they are open loop amplifiers with huge gain therefore in a chain you end up with a large signal which saturates the amplifiers. Hence the only solution for an even chain is the dc.
Does this answer defies your doubts?

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2012, 8:05am

raja.cedt wrote on Jan 30th, 2012, 1:23am:
hello guys,
thanks for the reply, ac coupling is interesting but oscillator should have dc operating point, do you think with coupling capacitors it will be posb. But my Question is it can be designed with two operating points, one is at dc and another is at designed frequency, so which operating point oscillator choose.

In general it will be latched at DC, i want the reason.

@robg: i didn't understand this in your previous post...I don't think it can be done

I think I need to revise my thinking on my statement. There is a "perfect delay" frequency where the delay would be correct to create an oscillation so there must be another reason why it won't oscillate.

Perhaps the reason it seeks the latched operating point is that all frequencies below this "perfect delay" frequency will have positive feedback with gain more than one. Any noise in that frequency band will reinforce the output so that it hits the rail. On the other hand, any noise above that band would have a gain less than one.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2012, 8:07am

@loopantenna:

Why each inverter contribute 180 deg phase, if so why it is oscillating? The answer is each inverter gives 180+frequency dependent phase, so at some frequency all contribute to 180 and that is the frequency of oscillations. please try to avoid explain like 1 at some point and becomes zero after that inverter and finally it reaches with the inversion (of course during this explanation you are assuming some delay hence phase).

Guys may i didn't explain properly. Let me try it out again.

In case of even inverters, there are multiple solutions.
1. At dc (this is not oscillations only  solution it could  be oscillation or latching state a.k.a dc)
2. at some frequency each inverter contribute 22.5 deg phase (assume 16 stages), so it can be a solution.
3. At some other frequency each inverter contribute 45 deg, so it can also.
Out of all these solutions, some how it will stay at dc, means that is stable operating point out off listed above.

Thanks,
Raj.

loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2012, 9:14am

might be over thinking this a bit?

The way I think about this -

cut the ring at a single point so you got an input and output.
tie the input high or low.
steady state look at the output
if the input and output are the same state its not going to oscillate, its going to latch

Now, if you want to apply criteria of sufficient gain,
additive phase per delay cell etc, that's a different game.

A subtle issue - an inverter does not delay the signal by 180 degrees.
It inverts the signal and delays it by some  smaller amount.

That's a little different isn't it?
For a N stage ring oscillator, each stage contributes 360/N degrees of phase.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2012, 10:34am

hello looselectron,
What do you mean by an inverter does not delay the signal by 180 degrees. It inverts the signal and delays it by some  smaller amount.

Inverting the signal means 180 deg phase only, in fact if it is not giving the 180 deg phase then how could it be satisfies Barkerson criterion.

Thanks,
Raj.

despap

Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2012, 10:48am

Hmm..let me give a try..!!

I havent done the home-work to check the same..but here is the explanation in my view.

1. Oscillations here are of large-signal phenomenon.
2. Finite delay between in the loop defines period of oscillations.
3. Lets Consider the debated cases
a. Odd number of inverter chain
b. Even number of inverter chain

Possible states without the knowledge of phase, delay etc. etc.
1. DC
2. AC ( I mean oscillations)

Digging more
DC
Any point between Supply and Ground. No point here for guessing the possibilities are only Supply,GND and VTH ( Threshold of the inverter, assuming all are of same type)

AC
Sustained oscillations , hence the explanation also that total phase is 180 etc.. etc.. but did Barkhausen phase criteria say other-way round Tongue

But what is the meaning of 180 phase difference here..!!
Input of an inverter(of the chain) is held for finite/sufficient time to drive its output to opposite polarity, which is guaranteed by X number of inverters in the chain/loop. which means that phase is not 360 but its 180.. Did we miss anything here.?

Key here is its not-a-sustained/controlled sinusoid oscillations, hence 360 is not-valid here. While its ringing, at a given time, complete signal chain is not active ( mean not in rise/fall segment), only few are establishing the ringing.

Cool.. right now lets start with the numbers??

What if only one inverter is in the chain?
Holy cow.. Inverter has gone mad.. there is no way that input(which in this case is output itself) will be constant till the output(which in this case is input also) is driven to opposite polarity.. Hence no oscillations and input/output settles for VTH

What if two inverter is in the chain?
This will be pretty interesting..!!
for analysis of Ring-osc if its assumed that output has zero rise/fall times with finite prop-delay..oh dear.. yes two-stage inverter-chain is going to oscillate.

But catch is in the assumption; output indeed has finite rise/fall times and the delay or phase is equivalent to that of one-stage RC..

If one goes into finer details..it can be seen that inverter is capable of driving its output completely to opposite polarity and its input never starts to drift from stable value.. hence inverter wont able to drive change its state but struck in the same-state.

Simply.. loop doesnt have enough phase difference to sustain it..

The other possible state obviously is VTH..but any noise on this takes to stable state of Supply/GND.

OR
Lets start at VTH and apply BH Crit.. loop phase is 360..but gain is darn high..proper positive feedback circuit. no option but it will saturate.

Three inverters in a chain

Here its always possible that output of inverter is driven to opposite polarity, till then input keeps quite and then starts to change!!
Lets start assuming all nodes are VTH..and noise is induced..What happens..
noise has all frequencies ..only sustainable frequency is at which BH Crit is met. But is it going to sustain??
No because gain is darn high.. but what happens then??

Part of the inverters saturate while others are in the course of transiting to their saturation.. But then all can-not saturate just because input-output of inverter can-not be same and in this case its biiig-inverter with delay.. Tongue

Hence it will be sustained for ever.. but remember this frequency is different from at which inv chain started to oscillate..

Four inverters in a chain

Putting the same argument as in the previous case.. shouldnt the oscillations sustaining now?? Tongue
Yes..of-course why not..!!???
But the catch is...
Again Gain of the path is huge..some-body is going to saturate..once saturated even number of inverters can never bring-it out of saturation point..

Hence forth the case for odd-even inverter chain as a ring-oscillator

But oscillations can be sustained with even number of inverter stages with controlled gain.. which are nothing but sinusoidal oscillators and remember here every-stage is in its linear region of operation..!!

Concept of metastability
Take N number of inverter chain and assume delay of 360/N per stage.
Try to get timing plots (assume one input to be step - noise source)

do the same with 360/N+/-delta..

Whether N is odd/even system might stabilize at VTH..( assuming all have the same threshold at VTH)

Repeat the same with one-inverters threshold at VTH+/-delta..

N - odd- oscillates only
N - even -ends up at Supply/GND

Hope i am not too over-board here .. with lot of mistakes..!!!!!

rgds,
ds

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2012, 11:20am

hello,
seems you spend lot of time to post this, good. could you please explain he following bit clear.
output has zero rise/fall times with finite prop-delay..oh dear.. yes two-stage inverter-chain is going to oscillate

Finally what do you say about even inverters, will it oscillate or not.

Thanks,
raj.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.