The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 2:04am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bias switching (Read 4236 times)
DDC

Bias switching
Feb 03rd, 2012, 12:35am

Hello,

I have a problem. I try to switch on/off my bias networks. I use a second BJT to perform a current mirror with the input BJT of a  cascode and a transmissiongate to short circuit the base of the input cascode BJT. Discharging is performed very well in a short time (some ps) but charging takes too long because of my DC decoupling cap (10pF). The problem is if I use a very small cap (some hundret fF) I can lower the settling time but my impedance matching is completly mismatched because my frequency ist only 900 MHz. Is there somebody who has an idea how I can speedup the charging of the cap or how I can bias my cascode without any DC blocking cap ? I think that I could also bias the BJT with a simple DC voltage at the base but this is not usefull due to bias jitter and so the collector current will change exponentially. The main problem is that other solutions shuoldn't cause any further power dissipation. Thanks for response.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Bias switching
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2012, 2:03am

Hi,

I suggest you post a schematic. Or take some time to describe your circuit better. For instance...

- Is it an LNA?
- Is it a cascode LNA?
- Is it differential or single-ended?

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
DDC

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2012, 6:16am

Yes it should be a LNA. I need to switch off the bias but the DC decoupling cap limits the time for charging until the circuit can reach his bias point.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2012, 6:36pm

Hi,

based on your schematic, you could simply switch on/off the cascode transistor and leave the bottom one permanently on. But I think your cascode transistor probably needs a large cap to ground too unless Vb is really ideal. One thing you could consider if you want to speed up the charging is to replace Rbias/10 with a switch, and turn it ON during the charge up phase and OFF once the node is fully charged.

Also, I doubt you need a full transmission gate for the switching. You can just use an NMOS.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
DDC

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2012, 12:14am

Hello Aaron,

thanks for response. I have further the problem, that the DC decoupling cap (CDC ) has to be very high (> 100pF ) that it has less influence on matching but it has to be small for a short settling time. Do you have an idea how I can adjust the operating point without using a DC blocking cap ? I could also use a common base stage but there is the same problem. Do you have any idea ?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2012, 3:11pm

Consider a non linear circuit that forces the bias upon startup?

Comparator methods to a reference circuit, or
boost the current for a brief period of time.

That is a rather large capacitor for inside a chip,
so is that the case for what reason? KT/C ?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2012, 5:28pm

Hi DDC,

you could do a few things.

1) use a differential topology with transformers at input and output to avoid large blocking caps. Or use differential with no gate cap for the cascode and simply switch the cascode.

2) As previously suggested, briefly short the biasing resistor during start-up.

3) Switch the gate voltage of the cascode transistor to either ground (OFF) or bias (ON). Make sure the bias is properly AC grounded, and use a large enough switch to minimize the ON resistance. Of course in this case, your biasing circuit would have to be ON all the time.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.