The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 11th, 2024, 10:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
limit cycle (Read 3137 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
limit cycle
Feb 05th, 2012, 9:06am

hello,
can any one please tell me about limit cycle, and what it's significance...at least give me some reference or some thing.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: limit cycle
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2012, 10:32am

Raj,
a (stable) limit cycle is a kind of oscillation. An important example is an oscillation of a recursive digital filter in fixed-point arithmetic stimulated and sustained by the rounding error.

Which context interests you?
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2012, 10:47am

hello boe,
thanks for the reply, i am getting this word very repetitively when i am studying discrete system  stability and about jitter. So could you please  explain what is limit cycle, i am guessing it is a root-locus of some thing.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2012, 8:30pm

Hi Raja,
This is more or less what I remember...
Typically in non-linear systems, the solutions to differential equations representing such systems have singularities around which the trajectory of such solution (in the plane defined by the state variables) cycle around such point.
As boe suggested they represent oscillations conditions that can be reached depending on the initial conditions of your non-linear system: a typical limit cycle is the switching of a buck converter when analyzed as a non-linear system, or idle tones on a sigma delta converter when also analyzed as non-linear feedback system.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2012, 4:34am

Raja,
Tosei's explanation seems OK to me; however, the difference to instability of linear systems is that they are oscillations of fixed amplitude.

- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2012, 5:14pm

Raja - The idle tones in a delta sigma modulator can be thought of as limit cycles, although I'm not sure if they are the same thing as what you are researching. See page 41-45 of Schreier/Temes's book.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.