The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 11:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSTB and PNOISE analysis in spectre (Read 3947 times)
Sumit Kumar

IIT Madras
PSTB and PNOISE analysis in spectre
Feb 06th, 2012, 7:47am

Hello all
PSTB simulation in cadence gives loop gain. This loop gain can be used to calculate noise transfer function in loop. Can we rely on PSTB analysis results to calculate noise transfer function? I am having some problem mainly when my circuit consists of analog lib switches and ideal current source. TSTB results are coming as expected and hence there is no problem with periodic steady state operating points (I guess ).

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: PSTB and PNOISE analysis in spectre
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2012, 1:07am

You could use the separatenoise=yes option of the pnoise analysis, which separates noise into sources and transfer functions. Transfer functions can also be simulated with the pxf and pac analyses.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Re: PSTB and PNOISE analysis in spectre
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2012, 11:06am

In addition to what Frank suggests, the noise separation option in pnoise allows one to also identify noise internal to the device itself (if it is supported by the design kit). For example, the flicker and thermal noise contributions from a transistor can be individually identified at the output as a transfer function versus any swept value.

As an afterthought, if you are using switches (which are inherently non-linear devices), you could consider using qpss which might significantly reduce simulation time, if you haven't done so already.

cheers,

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.