The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 30th, 2024, 3:22am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
problem with small capacitor in layout (Read 3966 times)
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: problem with small capacitor in layout
Reply #15 - Feb 28th, 2012, 6:26pm

Fair enough Rob!

:)

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #16 - Mar 1st, 2012, 2:21am

RobG wrote on Feb 28th, 2012, 7:55am:

Lex - the paper was 27.8 by Pieter Harpe, but you won't find much information there. However, last year he had a JSSC paper that talked about building a 0.5 fF capacitor with 90nm CMOS. It is here: http://ens.ewi.tudelft.nl/pubs/meijs11jssc.pdf

It seems to have some good information in it.

kT/C noise isn't much of an issue since the signal is sampled onto the entire DAC, not just the LSB cap.

rg

Thanks for the paper Rob!

To me, what is striking is that they conclude that the systemic DNL is dominating, suggesting systematic layout issues for which they say that they are not detected by the extraction tool. No extra words are spent on this very important matter. So basically they have a fancy, self built, (EM?) extractor which does not correspond to the actual thing. That is not really assuring if you have to explain this to a customer.

Next, the fact that they have a total capacitance of 377fF of which 251fF is redundant, just shows this is another academic shot to score a paper at a conference. Which is of course legitimate, since funds depends on of accepted papers. But in essence it shows that you do not gain much by using such small capacitors.

Anyhow again thanks for the paper, but to me it advocates not to use such small capacitors.

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #17 - Mar 1st, 2012, 2:35am

Lex wrote on Mar 1st, 2012, 2:21am:
RobG wrote on Feb 28th, 2012, 7:55am:

Lex - the paper was 27.8 by Pieter Harpe, but you won't find much information there. However, last year he had a JSSC paper that talked about building a 0.5 fF capacitor with 90nm CMOS. It is here: http://ens.ewi.tudelft.nl/pubs/meijs11jssc.pdf

It seems to have some good information in it.

kT/C noise isn't much of an issue since the signal is sampled onto the entire DAC, not just the LSB cap.

rg

Thanks for the paper Rob!

To me, what is striking is that they conclude that the systemic DNL is dominating, suggesting systematic layout issues for which they say that they are not detected by the extraction tool. No extra words are spent on this very important matter. So basically they have a fancy, self built, (EM?) extractor which does not correspond to the actual thing. That is not really assuring if you have to explain this to a customer.

Next, the fact that they have a total capacitance of 377fF of which 251fF is redundant, just shows this is another academic shot to score a paper at a conference. Which is of course legitimate, since funds depends on of accepted papers. But in essence it shows that you do not gain much by using such small capacitors.

Anyhow again thanks for the paper, but to me it advocates not to use such small capacitors.

Even with a proper extraction tool it is very hard to layout this capacitor array. You always have some error between MSB cap and LSB. Moreover you cannot include  the package and wirebonds effects to the extractor.

Redundant parasitic capacitance decreases only the full-scale range. It does not degrade performance....

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2012, 7:44am by Vladislav D »  
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #18 - Mar 1st, 2012, 6:48am

Lex wrote on Mar 1st, 2012, 2:21am:

I haven't looked at it closely so I can't tell if it is practical or if I'm missing something. Not sure what you mean by redundant, or if it matters. The parasitics on the bottom side should have negligible effect since that side is switched. And parasitics on the top side only attenuate the signal provided to the comparator. This will cut into your SNR, but won't affect DAC linearity.

What do you think? I didn't see where any calibration was done but could have missed it.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #19 - Mar 2nd, 2012, 4:57am

RobG wrote on Mar 1st, 2012, 6:48am:
I haven't looked at it closely so I can't tell if it is practical or if I'm missing something. Not sure what you mean by redundant, or if it matters. The parasitics on the bottom side should have negligible effect since that side is switched. And parasitics on the top side only attenuate the signal provided to the comparator. This will cut into your SNR, but won't affect DAC linearity.

What do you think? I didn't see where any calibration was done but could have missed it.

rg

The way I see it, there are two things that makes the use impracticable.
i. The redundant capacitance reduces the power efficiency of ADC in such a way that you actually don't need such small capacitors in the first place. This part you refer to as 'negligible' effect.
ii. They don't have the adequate tools to model the capacitance. I don't think it is a matter of variance, as they call it themselves "systemic layout issues" that go undetected.

I didn't see any calibration either. What kind of calibration do you suggest for such a small capacitor array? Correct it digitally afterwards?

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #20 - Mar 2nd, 2012, 6:57am

Lex wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012, 4:57am:
The way I see it, there are two things that makes the use impracticable.
i. The redundant capacitance reduces the power efficiency of ADC in such a way that you actually don't need such small capacitors in the first place. This part you refer to as 'negligible' effect.

You may be correct, but I didn't look closely enough at it to determine if what you say is true. Their power numbers are very low.
Quote:
ii. They don't have the adequate tools to model the capacitance. I don't think it is a matter of variance, as they call it themselves "systemic layout issues" that go undetected.

As we say, cowboy up!  ;D You might recall that I don't have a lot of faith in models anyway, and I don't think designers should. I personally am ok with this sort of stuff if it is really needed as long as the limitations are known, but I "grew up" with much less sophisticated modeling. You have to take some rough estimates of the parasitics and also use designs that are insensitive to it. On the other hand, you wouldn't want to use these tiny capacitors if you can get the performance with a better modeled topology!

Quote:
I didn't see any calibration either. What kind of calibration do you suggest for such a small capacitor array? Correct it digitally afterwards?

My point was that calibration isn't needed in spite of the very small capacitance so they must be doing something correct.

I'm seeing so many papers with super low power numbers but they are using "calibration" to fix a design that is super sensitive to PVT. I'm not comfortable intentionally doing those types of designs even if I just wanted a paper, but (without looking to closely at it) this design seems like something I'd try if I really needed whatever the heck they needed.  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #21 - Mar 2nd, 2012, 1:27pm

"grew up with less sophisticated modelling"

/(Insert grumpy old dude comment here)

Didn't have simulators "back in the day"

/* (End grumpy old dude statement)

Although that's true (my first couple of years as a chip
designer was board design morphed into a chip, or bipolar design
on paper getting dumped into silicon) I still don't trust most
semiconductor models.  But, I don't tale the Bob Pease
attitude the "spice lies" either.

PVT and Matching variance is so ugly that I have been including
alignment, offset mismatch, and "adjustment knobs" in my designs
since about 0.35 micron and smaller. If its CMOS it is going to vary.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Reply #22 - Jun 21st, 2012, 6:46pm

nus_lin wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012, 8:47pm:
dear guys,

i have a similar problem in using a small capacitor in layout. The minimum MOM capacitor offered by the design kit is around 15ˣ15um2,which is much larger than what we want. Therefore, if my unit capacitor is smaller than that value, I am not able to pass the LVS check, and can not run the post-layout simulation either.

can anyone advise me how to get this done?

thank you in advance.

regards,
HE LIN

You can remove device instances for the unit caps from the netlist, and treat all capacitive components as parasitic - AND use a high-precision capacitance extraction tool based on a field solver.
this will give you a much more reliable capacitance results - both intended capacitance and parasitic coupling capacitance values - as SPICE models for the capacitors are not accurate at all for small capacitors that are exposed to the outside world (i.e. not properly shielded) and that have large parasitics.

Here is a couple of relevant links:

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/en/faraday-selects-silicon-frontline-s-f3d-fo...

http://www.edaboard.com/thread159589.html

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.