The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Varactor CV curve (Read 6633 times)
pumba007

Varactor CV curve
Feb 24th, 2012, 8:12am

Hi All,

I need someone to comment on my testbench for simulating varactor CV curve in cadence spectre. Pls find the attached image.

I calculate the capacitance from calculator -imag(i/v)/(2*pi*f).

I run ac simulation and sweep the control voltage of the varactor. I am not sure if this setup is correct because when i plug in this value in LC oscillator, i do not get the expected oscillation frequency. The frequency deviation is too large. Am i missing something in the setup?

Is there other methods to obtain CV plots more efficiently?

Regards

Mani

varactor_t.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Re: Varactor CV curve
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2012, 8:24am

It looks like you are using a MOS varactor. Those varactors has a very sharp transistion from min cap to max cap over tuning voltage. Your oscillator has probably a larger voltage sving compared to the voltage transition region of the varactor. This means that your effective large signal capacitance will have another value compared to the small signal value.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.