The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:01pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A strange result (Read 3415 times)
sos
Community Member

A strange result
Apr 03rd, 2012, 2:45pm

These simple circuits are giving me strange results, and I suspect it is either a model  or simulator issue. It doesn't make sense to me physically.

With the left circuit, a signal of 0 dB is applied at source1. The resulting signal at drain1 is +1.62 dB. This diode has gain.

In the right hand circuit, a signal of 0 dB is applied at gate2. It is attenuated to -1.56 dB at source23. It is then gained back up to -0.063 dB at drain3. Neither the attenuation or the gain make sense here.

I was ready to blame convergence until I found the same results with a small sin wave in transient.

Now connect the bulk to the source on each fet. Both the gain and attenuation go away. About 0 dB throughout the signal path.

The model used is BSIM3.3. The software is Silvaco SmartSpice 4.1.18.R

Thanks,
Steve

strange_duo.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: A strange result
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 5:48pm

Hi,

have you accounted for the bulk transconductance, gmb? If so, why don't you think this is the reason?

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Re: A strange result
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 6:05pm

aaron_do wrote on Apr 3rd, 2012, 5:48pm:
Hi,

have you accounted for the bulk transconductance, gmb? If so, why don't you think this is the reason?

cheers,
Aaron

Thank you Aaron, that fits. I'm a bipolar designer; it didn't occur to me the bulk terminal could have gain.

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.