The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:50am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Problem of simkit(NXP) for Cadence installation & simulation (Read 14259 times)
Lynn Lou

Problem of simkit(NXP) for Cadence installation & simulation
Mar 07th, 2012, 4:12am

Hi all,
I modelled a RFMOS with PSP model. I got a problem when I install SimKit for Cadence to verify this model with Spectre simulator. After adding model card(*.scs) in ADE Setup->Model Libraries and running simulation , ADE simulation failed and the log suggested as follows:"
ERROR (SFE-395): "/home/psp_model/ModelCard/n12_rf_psp.scs" 84: The primitive 'psp103' could not be found when attempting to create the model 'n12'.
ERROR (SFE-23): "/home/psp_model/ModelCard/n12_rf_psp.scs" 83: n12_psp is an instance of an undefined model n12."  

I followed the official instruction when install, but I am not sure whether the installation is  success or not.

How can I fix it? Any suggestion will be appreciated~

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Problem of simkit(NXP) for Cadence installation & simulation
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2012, 6:35am

The top of the log file should say something like
 Loaded shared object
   /path/to/libsimkit.so

if the installation was successful.  Also, if you type "spectre -help" at the command line, it should give you a list of available components, and
   Components marked with * are loaded from shared objects

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2012, 6:36am

Also, the most recent versions of Spectre may well have psp103 built in.  Are you sure you need the simkit?  What version of Spectre are you running?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Lynn Lou

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2012, 7:43am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Mar 7th, 2012, 6:35am:
The top of the log file should say something like
 Loaded shared object
   /path/to/libsimkit.so

if the installation was successful.  Also, if you type "spectre -help" at the command line, it should give you a list of available components, and
   Components marked with * are loaded from shared objects

Thank you, Geoffrey_Coram.

In the top of the log, it said "
Cannot access shared object /home/psp_model/libsimkit_spectre_5.0.so.
Cannot access shared object /home/psp_model/libsmk_5.0.so."
Does it mean that the simkit is not intalled successfully? I checked the available components, and PSP102e with * is in the list. How can I use this component?

I am not sure the version of my Spectre, but it is with MMSIM710. Does it have the PSP102/103 built-in?

Plenty of questions...  
Thank you very much!

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2012, 11:29am

Lynn Lou wrote on Mar 7th, 2012, 7:43am:
In the top of the log, it said "
Cannot access shared object /home/psp_model/libsimkit_spectre_5.0.so.
Cannot access shared object /home/psp_model/libsmk_5.0.so."
Does it mean that the simkit is not intalled successfully?

Indeed, it is not installed.  Is that the correct path?  Perhaps it should be /home/lynn_lo/psp_model/lib... ?

Quote:
I checked the available components, and PSP102e with * is in the list. How can I use this component?

For any component that's available, you can "spectre -help component" to get more information.  Of course, the parameters might not be exactly the same for 102e as 103.

Quote:
I am not sure the version of my Spectre, but it is with MMSIM710. Does it have the PSP102/103 built-in?

That's kind of old.  I don't remember the history off the top of my head, but I would guess that 102 is built in but 103 was not released until after MMSIM710.

Lynn Lou

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2012, 1:12am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Mar 7th, 2012, 6:36am:
Is that the correct path?  Perhaps it should be /home/lynn_lo/psp_model/lib... ?

Sharp deduction, yes, the full path is /home/lynn/psp_model/... . It was not the full path because I deleted some terms to shorten it, but I am sure the path is correct.

I find my Spectre supports psp102e, so I run my model without newly-installed SimKit and netlisting is done successful. But there is not drain current through the NMOS, and log says as :
"Notice from spectre during info `dcOpInfo'.
   No outputs were found. Loosening output filter criterion to `lvlpub'.

dcOpInfo: writing operating point information to rawfile.

Notice from spectre during info `modelParameter'.
   No outputs were found. Loosening output filter criterion to `lvlpub'.

modelParameter: writing model parameter values to rawfile.
..."

What does it imply? And what shall I do for this?

Thanks for your patience Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:11pm

If you're sure the path is correct, I don't know why you'd get "Cannot access shared object" -- is it not readable?  I would expect a different message if you'd downloaded the wrong library (eg, the Solaris library instead of linux).

But I guess that's irrelevant now.

Are you running spectre through ADE or at the command-line?  I like to run it at the command line, then I can make up a simple netlist with a single psp102e device and two voltage sources (VD, VG) and run a simple dc sweep.

It looks to me like you've got some strange "analysis" that only writes out the model parameters -- it may not actually apply any bias or run any simulation, so that's why there is no current.

Lynn Lou

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2012, 10:39pm

Thanks Geoffrey,
Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Mar 8th, 2012, 12:11pm:
It looks to me like you've got some strange "analysis" that only writes out the model parameters -- it may not actually apply any bias or run any simulation, so that's why there is no current.
I extracted model parameters following PSP manual, maybe some of the parameters I extracted are far from "reality". Now, the model works, although the current is too small than expected. I'd re-check the parameters. The problem "No outputs were found" is caused by my wrong  setting in Save Options in ADE.

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Mar 8th, 2012, 12:11pm:
If you're sure the path is correct, I don't know why you'd get "Cannot access shared object" -- is it not readable?  I would expect a different message if you'd downloaded the wrong library (eg, the Solaris library instead of linux).
I'd try SimKit of latest version later and check the installation flow.

Thank you Geoffrey, for your analysis and advice with patience these days. I really appreciate that.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2012, 6:51am

You're welcome.

Also realize that "psp102e" is the "electrical" or "local" model -- there are also "binning" and "global" versions that take scaling rules into account -- and use slightly different parameter names (NSUBO instead of NSUB, perhaps).  I think Spectre tells you if you specified a parameter it doesn't recognize and is ignoring -- check your log file.

Lynn Lou

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2012, 12:43am

Thanks Geoffrey,

I installed SimKit, and it proved that the installation failed because .cmiconfig file I created in Windows was not recognized by Linux. The SimKit 3.7 supports PSP103, so I switched to PSP103 while simulating afterwards.

Model unconvergence emerge when Trans simulation, and I think some PSP parameters are not properly extracted. Am I right? What else causes convergence problem?

Still on my way Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2012, 7:17am

There are lots of things that can cause convergence problems; Spectre prints out a list of them when it gets stuck.  How complicated is your circuit?  Have you tried a simple inverter or inverter chain?

Have you looked at dc I-V curves for the device, and do they make sense?  Have you looked at C-V curves from ac analysis?  Are the body diodes active? (swjuncap>0)

Have you looked at all the warnings from Spectre?  Once, I had a problem with inherited connections, such that the body terminal of a MOS device was floating, that caused a convergence issue.

Lynn Lou

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2012, 11:29pm

Thanks, Geoffrey,

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Mar 20th, 2012, 7:17am:
There are lots of things that can cause convergence problems; Spectre prints out a list of them when it gets stuck.  How complicated is your circuit?  Have you tried a simple inverter or inverter chain?

Have you looked at dc I-V curves for the device, and do they make sense?  Have you looked at C-V curves from ac analysis?  Are the body diodes active? (swjuncap>0)

The circuit is a simple NMOS-based LC VCO, and my model worked well in DC and S-parameter simulation, but failed in Tran simulation.

I can not extract parameters of body diodes since relative data were not available, so I set swjuncap = 0 . Are the diodes critical for convengence?

I checked the device terminals and RF parasitic subcircuit, and I think they were all set. However, I found the non-universality parameter XCOR is significantly affect the convergence.  XCOR I extracted is around 3, and model was not convergent in VCO trans sim, but I set XCOR below 1, it converged. Have you ever encounter this circumstance?

Thanks a lot~

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2012, 7:05am

XCOR appears to be used only in this equation:
   Rxcor      =  (1.0 + 0.2 * XCOR_i * Vsbx) / (1.0 + XCOR_i * Vsbx);

which feeds into the drain saturation voltage.  Do you have good measurements for different Vbs values?  What do the Vbs values look like in your transient simulation?

Lynn Lou

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2012, 12:33am

Thanks Geoffrey,

The sample MOS I have is in GSG test structure with S and B connected to the ground. So the measurement with varied Vbs is not available. Maybe XCOR I extracted was far from reality, and caused convergence problem.  Does inappropriate XCOR cause convergence problem?

I am wondering whether the XCOR changes a lot over different process of the same fab. Because I have some data of .13um MOS and I think maybe I can use they to extract XCOR as a reference. Is it practicable?

Thank you~

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2012, 5:02am

If Vsbx < 0, then the denominator (1.0 + XCOR_i * Vsbx) can cross through zero, and this would certainly give convergence problems.

However, I can't tell from the computations of Vsbx whether it is clamped > 0.  (One expects Vsb > 0 normally, so the b-s diode is reverse-biased.  However, in switching events, you can get Vsb < 0, but I'm not sure how that affects Vsbx.)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.