The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 4:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
verilogA example code of opamp (Read 7852 times)
seanpai

verilogA example code of opamp
Apr 17th, 2012, 3:00pm

Hi guys, I am using a verilog-A to build up an behavior model of opamp for LDO. My opamp is a differntail input folded cascode and single ended output amp, and I am going to limit the output range of it between vdd-2 Vov and 2Vov. I looked at the opamp example in the ahdlLib, which is in the virtuoso library, and can't figure out the code in "soft output limiting" part in the bottom. The code is showed as follows:
"if (V(vout) > (V(vspply_p) - vsoft))
 I(cout, vref) <+ gm_nom*(V(vout, vspply_p)+vsoft);
 else if (V(vout) < (V(vspply_n) + vsoft))
 I(cout, vref) <+ gm_nom*(V(vout, vspply_n)-vsoft); "
In my understanding, the first and second line mean when Vout > Vdd-2 Vov, then I(out) will be gm*(V(vdd,vout)+2Vov) in my case. And the third and fourth line mean when Vout < vss(=0 in my case)+2Vov, then I(out) will be gm*(V(vout,0)+2Vov) in my case. Am I correct? Moreover, I don't know how the "V(vout, vspply_p)+vsoft" and "V(vout, vspply_n)-vsoft" are derived? Finally, why I(out) here become a Vout related value? It should be gm*vin_val by definition, right? Can anyone help me figure out these problems please? Thank you so much.

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: verilogA example code of opamp
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2012, 3:11pm

seanpai,

the model reduces gm if you get closer than vsoft to either rail.

- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
seanpai

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2012, 3:51pm

boe wrote on Apr 17th, 2012, 3:11pm:
seanpai,

the model reduces gm if you get closer than vsoft to either rail.

- B O E

Hello B.O.E, Thank you for the reply. But I am still confused in  the equation "I(cout,vref) <+ gm_nom*(V(vout,vspply_p+vsoft))". Why gm_nom would time "(V(vout,vspply_p+vsoft))" here?   Lips Sealed

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2012, 1:50pm

seanpai wrote on Apr 17th, 2012, 3:51pm:
Hello B.O.E, Thank you for the reply. But I am still confused in  the equation "I(cout,vref) <+ gm_nom*(V(vout,vspply_p+vsoft))". Why gm_nom would time "(V(vout,vspply_p+vsoft))" here?   Lips Sealed

Note that V(vout,vspply_p)+vsoft = 0  is equivalent to V(out) = V(supply_p)-vsoft.

- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
seanpai

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2012, 2:11pm

But why I(out) comes from gm_nom * "(V(vout,vspply_p+vsoft))" not gm_nom * "vin_val" here? And if V(vout,vspply_p)+vsoft = 0, we'll get a zero I(out), right? Always appreciate for your response. Thanks.  

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2012, 1:44pm

Seanpai,

Note that all contribution statements to one branch current are added.

- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.