The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Improve the AMP for the buffer or vice versa? (Read 2153 times)
henrytqy

Improve the AMP for the buffer or vice versa?
Apr 18th, 2012, 10:44pm

Hi guys

I have designed an AMP, and also a buffer for test. But a large Cap is brought by the buffer, which is a problem and limits the BW.

I have come up with an idea, Ind peaking in the last stage of the AMP to overcome it.  Thinking it for twice, I feel the direction is a little wrong, which is that I change my AMP(what I want to design) to adapt the buffer(just for the measurement).

What do you think of my  idea?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance~~~

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Improve the AMP for the buffer or vice versa?
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2012, 8:10am

I agree...your method sounds wrong. What kind of signal are you trying to measure?

Aaron

Btw, oscilloscopes use 10:1 probes to solve that issue...but maybe there is a better method in your case.

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
henrytqy

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2012, 7:07am

aaron_do wrote on Apr 19th, 2012, 8:10am:
I agree...your method sounds wrong. What kind of signal are you trying to measure?

Aaron

Btw, oscilloscopes use 10:1 probes to solve that issue...but maybe there is a better method in your case.

Sorry to reply so late.

My signal is a digital signal before the CDR ckt. Its swing may be as large as 1.5*VDD. But since the instrument has an impedence of 50 ohm, the driver must steer a large current, thus the large W/L.

I don't understand the 10:1 probes in my case, could you please   explain it more clearly.

Thanks a lot~~~

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2012, 5:47pm

If it is a digital signal, why don't you use a string of inverters getting larger towards the end?

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.