The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:35am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insertion Loss or S21 (Read 3613 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Insertion Loss or S21
Apr 19th, 2012, 8:36pm

Hi all,

in many datasheets for PAs, filters, switches etc, they specify "Insertion Loss". The input impedance of the devices is usually matched to 50 ohm, but the match is not perfect. So a typical VSWR might be on the order of 1.3.

So my question is, are they really specifying actual insertion loss, or do you think this is actually just Pout/Pavailable which is much easier to measure.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: Insertion Loss or S21
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2012, 3:25am

For passives I have always assumed that insertion loss is measured S21. I did a small simulation study (a long time ago) to see how the frequency response of a SAW filter changes with different VSWR mismatch at one port (pseudo load pull), and I generally found that if the mismatch was less than 2:1 the filter met the insertion loss and ripple/slope specifications. But if the VSWR was increased that it started to degrade the response at the band edges.

There are techniques for determining the extra loss due to mismatch, but I have not designed a system where I needed to do it.

For PAs, gain is available power gain I think (Pdelivered - Available Pin).

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Insertion Loss or S21
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2012, 7:31pm

Thanks for the reply. In some cases, it is the difference between an insertion loss of 0.4 dB and 0.5 dB. 0.4 dB looks better on the spec sheet. I understand that its more practical to simply measure S21, but insertion loss gives the better number, so I figured the datasheet is giving the true insertion loss...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.