The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 31st, 2024, 1:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power consumption over nMos (Read 2586 times)
Gil

Power consumption over nMos
Apr 25th, 2012, 5:43am

Hi guys (and ladies Wink),

I'm trying to find a way to calculate the power consumption over nMos during a switch (VG turns from 0 to 1 logic).

Lets assume my circuit is made of a DC power supply VDD, connected serially to a resistor R and an nmos transistor.

Calculating the area under the graph ID(VD) (using P=IV) isn't gonna work, because there's no time aspect there..

I thought I could model the transistor as a resistor Rnmos with a capacitor in parallel Cnmos,
this way I can treat Rnmos as the one who's current is ID.
This way after (transistor's) Tau~RC the transistor reaches saturation (the capacitor Cnmos is "disconnected" after T=inf so all the current goes through Rnmos).

Is that a correct observation?

If it is, I'm not sure how can I determine Cnmos.
About the Rnmos - I can use a "zero-order" approximation by determining Rnmos = VDD/Isaturation ,  since after the capacitor charges, the R, Rnmos are serial connected.

Thanks,
Gil.  

question_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Re: Power consumption over nMos
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2012, 2:03pm

Pretty complicated to do with only hand calculation...Why not just simulate this?

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2012, 8:02am

AnalogDE wrote on Apr 25th, 2012, 2:03pm:
Pretty complicated to do with only hand calculation...Why not just simulate this?

This seems like a homework problem so I don't want to give the answer, but I think you have the right approach. If you don't have the information to calculate Cnmos you can't include the transient part. Likewise, if you don't have a time period it doesn't make sense to do the transient portion since you don't know how much it contributes to the overall power.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Gil

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2012, 9:02am

It's not really a homework assignment, but me trying to figure it out..

I wanna get an intuition about the POWER CONSUMPTION in MOSFET.

I wanted to get a clue about my hunch - if this is a correct way of  thinking..

All that is left is to calculate somehow the R, C, equivalent to the NMOS.
This is where I need someone's advise..  :P

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.