The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 31st, 2024, 3:17am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
No Peaking with Transient Response with PM of 66 degre (Read 9641 times)
Ricky Chen
Community Member

No Peaking with Transient Response with PM of 66 degre
Apr 29th, 2012, 1:15pm

I designed a 2-stage Miller compensated CLASS-AB OTA.
The exact schematic is attached.
I found the differential mode Phase margin using Middlebrook method.
I got a PM of 67 degree. The AC response is attached.
When I gave a step input I am NOT seeing any peaking at the 1st OTA output. Actually I should see a slight peaking with 67 PM.
Can anybody tell why there is NO peaking at the output.
The transient response is also attched

OTA.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Re: No Peaking with Transient Response with PM of 66 degre
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2012, 1:16pm

The AC response

PM_and_LOOP_GAIN_PLOT.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2012, 1:18pm

The Transient response attached

TRANSIENT_RESPONSE.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2012, 11:08pm

Hi Ricky,

1.) I suppose the shown ac magnitude respose is the loop gain, correct?
Why didn't you show the phase response?
2.) Are you sure that the loop gain was simulated correctly? According to the slope of the magnitude response at unity gain the phase margin should me much lower (perhaps 45-50 deg).
3.) Does the step response belong to the closed loop circuit?

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2012, 11:22pm

buddypoor wrote on Apr 29th, 2012, 11:08pm:
Hi Ricky,

2.) Are you sure that the loop gain was simulated correctly? According to the slope of the magnitude response at unity gain the phase margin should me much lower (perhaps 45-50 deg).

1) I have shown the phase response. Just Scroll down the .jpeg file

2)I am assuring you it is correct. I have checked with 2 methods of Middlebrok and both gave the same results

3)Yes it is for the closed loop circuit ( The schematic is the entire circuit and the o/p is take at the o/p of the 1st OTA)

View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2012, 11:36pm

Ricky Chen wrote on Apr 29th, 2012, 11:22pm:
buddypoor wrote on Apr 29th, 2012, 11:08pm:
Hi Ricky,

1) I have shown the phase response. Just Scroll down the .jpeg file

2)I am assuring you it is correct. I have checked with 2 methods of Middlebrok and both gave the same results

3)Yes it is for the closed loop circuit ( The schematic is the entire circuit and the o/p is take at the o/p of the 1st OTA)

Sorry the LOOP_GAIN plot has not same axis for both PHASE and Gain so I have attached the same with same axis in GAIN and PHASE

LOOP_GAIN_RESPONSE.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2012, 1:53am

@buddy: hello buddy..i couldn't understand this "According to the slope of the magnitude response at unity gain the phase margin should me much lower". could you please explain how to estimate phase margin from the slope?

@ ricky: in theory you get small overshoot (around 3%), but when you implement with transistors you could expect slight change in the gm or some small signal parameter, and may be your overdrive of the input pair lower and with 30mv swing it may change some %ge. So try to apply very small step like micro volts or increase the transistor overdrive.
From your step response i can imagine there is a RHZ..but why it is not in magnitude plot?
Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2012, 3:13am

@ricky: Sorry, I didn't see the phase (forgot to scroll). Please, can you confirm that you have used the "double-injection technique" ? (Because the term "Middlebrook" is somewhat ambigious).

@raja: In most cases (in particular for opamps without transfer function zeros and with a continuous gain decrease) the phase response is directly related to the gain response and, thus, must not be shown explicitely. In these cases, the phase margin can be estimated using the SLOPE of the gain function only. In particular, if the 2nd pole is approx. at the unity gain frequency (slope changes from -20 to -40 dB/dec) the PM will be approx. 40...50 deg.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2012, 3:44am

buddypoor wrote on Apr 30th, 2012, 3:13am:
@ricky: Sorry, I didn't see the phase (forgot to scroll). Please, can you confirm that you have used the "double-injection technique" ? (Because the term "Middlebrook" is somewhat ambigious).

@raja: In most cases (in particular for opamps without transfer function zeros and with a continuous gain decrease) the phase response is directly related to the gain response and, thus, must not be shown explicitely. In these cases, the phase margin can be estimated using the SLOPE of the gain function only. In particular, if the 2nd pole is approx. at the unity gain frequency (slope changes from -20 to -40 dB/dec) the PM will be approx. 40...50 deg.

1:- Middle-Brook theorem is NOT ambiguous at all.

2:- Yes it is 'double injection technique' i.e. I found RRi(injecting current) and RRv( injecting voltage) at the break point.
This is clear from the schematic I have shown.

3:- From gain plot it is very difficult to figure the PHASE AMrgin.
As it may have pole zero pairs.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2012, 3:48am

raja.cedt wrote on Apr 30th, 2012, 1:53am:
@buddy: hello buddy..i couldn't understand this "According to the slope of the magnitude response at unity gain the phase margin should me much lower". could you please explain how to estimate phase margin from the slope?

@ ricky: in theory you get small overshoot (around 3%), but when you implement with transistors you could expect slight change in the gm or some small signal parameter, and may be your overdrive of the input pair lower and with 30mv swing it may change some %ge. So try to apply very small step like micro volts or increase the transistor overdrive.
From your step response i can imagine there is a RHZ..but why it is not in magnitude plot?
Thanks,
raj.

1:- Why you imagine RHZ from transient response ? Can you tell the reason behind it ?
2:- Do you expect a peaking in Magnitude plot to reflect RHZ ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2012, 3:57am

buddypoor wrote on Apr 30th, 2012, 3:13am:

Dear Buddy,

Why you are deriving that the 2nd pole is near UGB of the Loop-Gain ?
If you carefully look at the Gain plot,  the 2nd pole is around 1.38 GHz which is 2.3 times than the Unity LOOP Gain frequency 613MHz.
I guess 2.3 times can easily give you  66 degree PM.
Please NOTE the axis is Logarithmic !!

View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2012, 4:14am

[quote author=raja.cedt link=1335730561/0#6 date=1335775995]@buddy: hello buddy..i couldn't understand this

I actually did with 1uV input. No peaking is SHOWN.
I wonder why you tell that transistor is overdriven.
Pleas NOTE:- The input is being applied at the input-R of the OTA not at the OTA input. ( please see the schematic). Also the OTA's o/p stage is a CLASS-AB so slew is NOT that a problem  and feed-back makes the input of the OTA stand-still(virtual Ground).

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2012, 4:17am

hello ricky,
when you have RHZ step response starts in opposite direction. As you can see in your step response first started in -ve direction and it entered into +ve direction.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2012, 6:13am

1:- Middle-Brook theorem is NOT ambiguous at all.

I wrote that the TERM "Middlebrook" is not sufficient because his theorem (The general feedback theorem, GFT) consists of several parts (some with simplifications).

2:- Yes it is 'double injection technique' i.e. I found RRi(injecting current) and RRv( injecting voltage) at the break point.
This is clear from the schematic I have shown.

But it was not clear from the drawing - more than that, I must apologize for not beeing familiar with your simulation program (incl. schematic entry).

3:- From gain plot it is very difficult to figure the PHASE AMrgin.
As it may have pole zero pairs.

May answer to raja was a general one and not specifically related to your drawing.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2012, 6:16am

Why you are deriving that the 2nd pole is near UGB of the Loop-Gain ?
If you carefully look at the Gain plot,  the 2nd pole is around 1.38 GHz which is 2.3 times than the Unity LOOP Gain frequency 613MHz.
I guess 2.3 times can easily give you  66 degree PM.
Please NOTE the axis is Logarithmic !!

As mentioned before, my statement regarding the UGB was part of my answer to raja and not in response to your drawing.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.