The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 3rd, 2024, 1:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
floating body in bulk process (Read 3195 times)
Steve Mikes

Massachusetts, USA
floating body in bulk process
Jun 14th, 2012, 2:18pm

Is there anything bad about leaving the body connection of a solitary PFET floating in a bulk process?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: floating body in bulk process
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2012, 3:10pm

Steve Mikes wrote on Jun 14th, 2012, 2:18pm:
Is there anything bad about leaving the body connection of a solitary PFET floating in a bulk process?

If **none** of the connections to the transistor are attached to its probably not a problem.

However it is a very bad practice. Could make for some unpredictable behavior with substrate currents and latchup issues.
Depends on layout and if the substrate region is subject to currents.

Ground your substrate out and tie your N-wells up.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2012, 6:12pm

Steve Mikes wrote on Jun 14th, 2012, 2:18pm:

Depending on the foundry and if you're taping out for an MPW they may refuse to fab if you have a missing connection like this.  You might be able to get a waiver for it, or maybe not.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2012, 7:43pm

If this pmos is just a switch for slow switching you will likely be ok unless you have the sub current and latch up issues described above.

I would be very leery of a floating bulk in a moderate to high speed circuit. I would also avoid using a floating well transistor in a feedback loop.

I am imagining all kinds of possibilities for unpredictable body effect, possibility of instability or noise/modulation, etc.

The nwell will tend to track the source and drain within a diode drop but you cannot easily predict the phase error or the time constant. Who knows what the floating well will do to the AC input impedance of the fet either.

All that aside I have done it before. But it's not a regular habit as its quite risky.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.