The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 3rd, 2024, 9:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem on SCL Latch in 40nm technology (Read 1558 times)
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Problem on SCL Latch in 40nm technology
Jun 15th, 2012, 7:11am

Hello everyone,
I am designing a divided-by-2 with SCL latch by 40nm low power technology. The supply voltage of the circuitry is limited to 1.1V, and the threshold voltage of transistor is about 0.6V.  As shown in simulation result in figure 2, there is a significant spike in the latch output waveform.
   In my opinion, the NMOS as tail current source is biased at triode region so that the ripple at node Y is large.  The ripple causes incomplete switch of the clock-driven differential pair. As a result, the input differential pair still amplifier input signal even when the clock is supposed to shut them down.
My questions are,
1. Is my analysis right?

2.  The circuity topology is three NMOS in stack. It is difficult to bias this circuit with the limited supply voltage and large threshold voltage. Can I abandon the tail current source to get an easier bias? It there any suitable topology?

3. Can my circuit be further optimized? It seems useless to adjust parameters in the circuit.  

Thanks in advanced,
Yutao

schematic_003.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Re: Problem on SCL Latch in 40nm technology
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2012, 7:14am

Figuire2 is shown as following.

waveform.png
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2012, 9:52am

Yutao Liu wrote on Jun 15th, 2012, 7:11am:
2.  The circuity topology is three NMOS in stack. It is difficult to bias this circuit with the limited supply voltage and large threshold voltage. Can I abandon the tail current source to get an easier bias? It there any suitable topology?

Try using a resistor instead of the current source.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2012, 1:03am

Thanks Jerry, I will try your idea.
Could you tell me why resistor as tail current source is your option.
I think the resistor would display the same characteristic as an NMOS in triode region. The ripple at node Y still exist. Do I miss anything?

Best,
Yutao

View Profile   IP Logged
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 7:44am

loose-electron wrote on Jun 15th, 2012, 9:52am:
Yutao Liu wrote on Jun 15th, 2012, 7:11am:

Try using a resistor instead of the current source.

The spike does exist with resistor, and the amplitude is the same as that with current source. But the swing(Vmax-Vmin) becomes larger.

I checked the circuit again and found that there is about 160uA gate leakage current in the clock-driven differential pair. I think this leakage also causes the spike, doesn't it?

Thanks,
Yutao Liu

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2012, 12:38am

You say that the threshold is 0.6 V? So why biasing the current source at 535.6 mV? I guess it should be at least 0.7 V?

View Profile   IP Logged
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2012, 7:46pm

Lex wrote on Jul 4th, 2012, 12:38am:
You say that the threshold is 0.6 V? So why biasing the current source at 535.6 mV? I guess it should be at least 0.7 V?

The threshold is 0.6V when the length of FET is 40nm. And the threshold voltage decreases when length increases. In the schematic attached, the length of current source is above 40nm. So its bias voltage is lower than 0.6V.

Best,
Yutao

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2012, 12:59am

Okay that makes sense.

Did you try optimizing the common mode level of the clock? Are you certain the coupling cap is large enough? Can't see any sizes on the schematic, but I assume you thought about it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.