The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 3rd, 2024, 7:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stability of beta multiplier (Read 3916 times)
mixed_signal

Stability of beta multiplier
Jul 08th, 2012, 8:59am

i have designed a low power beta multiplier refernce (70nA) as shown. The opamp is a 5T diff pair.To check for stabilit i broke the -ve feedback loop and plugged iprobe from analoglib in cadence. stb analysis shows phase margin of 20 deg and gain margin of 14dB with C=2pf. I m not able to achive better phase margin even after shifting the mirror pole of the 5T diff pair. A phase margin of 60 requires C of 100p. The transient response with step Vdd (1us rise time) is shown as attached which is not quite stable. Can i expect it to work if tapped out?

Lastly, even if i achieve PM of 60 deg with C=100pF, the transient response is till the same which is shocking to me!! Pls help

betaref.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Re: Stability of beta multiplier
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2012, 8:59am

transient response

transient.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2012, 11:59am

I think i have found the problem!! The bias of the 5T opamp is derived form the beta multiplier as shown in attached figure. If the bias of the opamp is done externally then i get a first order rise of current in transient simulations. It forms a slightl unstable loop. It will be great if I get suggestions to improve the loop stabilit

beta5T.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2012, 12:04pm

I can use the self bias 5T as shown in attachment but i have to make aspect ratio of 1/200 to get 100nA bias current

5T.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.