The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 3rd, 2024, 3:11am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mismatch tolerance of 2 stage op-amp (Read 2996 times)
gsensor
Community Member

Mismatch tolerance of 2 stage op-amp
Jun 28th, 2012, 9:54am

Hi everyone,

I'm currently designing a two stage folded-cascode op-amp (having 1 uA bias current) with IBM 0.13 um technology. This design passes the corners test, but when I run a monte carlo analysis (mismatch only, 200 iterations) for mismatch in open-loop configuration, I get really bad results.

To find the critical transistors to be matched, I have applied, one at a time, a difference of 20 nm in width between each transistors pairs (Delta Width=20nm)  to be matched.
For the current mirror pairs in the cascode stage (top pmos current mirror transistors and bottom nmos current mirror ), this small delta W difference is very critical, resulting in a huge decrease in open loop gain (from 100 dB at DC, to 40dB and even 0dB). So I tried to increase the area of these transistors (WL), but I still get the same results.

As this is my first op-amp design, is it normal that such a small mismatch affect the results so badly for an op-amp ? If not, how to resolve the problem, else than increasing the transistor area ? Does adding dummies, interdigitation and common-centroid layout techniques would be enough ?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2012, 3:18pm by gsensor »  
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Mismatch tolerance of 2 stage op-amp
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 3:01pm

Couple of questions:

Have you optimized the geometry of your transistors to take advantage of the best matching sizes?

Common centroid in the matched sets?

Tried looking at the mismatch as it applies top different part of the circuits?
(Size mismatch is not necessarily a good way to model a mismatch.)

Generally the differential pair at the input dominates the problem.

Give us some more information about the design and we may be able to provide further suggestions.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2012, 1:06am

Maybe you have biased your transistors in weak saturation. This gives high gain, but simultaneously high mismatch. You could try sacrificing the gain a bit by decreasing the W/L ratio.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2012, 6:57am

Hi gsensor,

Quote:
but when I run a monte carlo analysis (mismatch only, 200 iterations) for mismatch in open-loop configuration, I get really bad results.

I don't understand the reason why you simulate mismatch in open-loop configuration. Do you want to reduce the input referred offset voltage? For a high gain amplifier, it is not a good idea to simulate its offset in open loop configuration.

Could you please paste the schematic of your amplifier and that test bench for Monte-Carlo simulation if you need more help?

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.