The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 13th, 2024, 7:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
some questions need your help (Read 4849 times)
lhlbluesky_lhl

some questions need your help
Sep 07th, 2012, 6:24pm

i have some questions need your help, some of these may be simple, but i also need your ideas. and the topic may be long.

1, in HV process, i see an inverter like the following picture shows, the resistor may be 100K or some other value. what is the role of the resistor? and how it works?
in the tar file, inv.jpg

2, in two-stage miller compensated opamp, nulling resistor is needed to compensate the RHP zero. in some cases, the Rz is not needed, however. i want to know. when can Rz be removed, and using only a Cc for compensation? in my opinion, when CL is very small, Rz can be removed. but why? any other cases?

3, in the following picture, a ldo is showed.
first, how to analyze the AC characteristic of the loop? what place is the poles (dominant and non-dominant) and zeros located? and how to stablize the loop? here, we assume two cases: CL=1uF and CL=10pF, and Rc is large (may be 200K~500K), current of opamp is very small.
second, how to analyze the PSRR+ characteristic? in allen's book, a two-stage miller compensated opamp (without Rc and R1, CL is relative small) is analyzed, there is one pole and two zeros in allen's book. when Rc and R1 added, we assume two cases also: CL=1uF and CL=10pF, what is the place of poles and zeros? if i want to improve the PSRR+ of low frequency to 100KHz, what should i do? in my opinion, DC gain and dominant pole both need to be large enough, so the DC gain of opamp and the resistance of the upper PMOS can be increased to improve PSRR+, but in allen's book, when increasing the upper PMOS resistance, the two(DC gain and dominant pole) is changed in opposite direction (assuming low current consumption is required here). so, how to improve the PSRR+ of low frequency to 100KHz here? what other ideas? assuming i want PSRR+ to be 25dB at 100KHz.
third, if i use the circuit as a V-I converter, to get an accurate ref current, how to decrease the mismatch of current mirror caused by vds difference? i know, cascode may be a solution, but cascode current mirror may increase the current consumption, and low current consumption is required also here. what other ideas or solutions? if i use cascode, what is the solution of current-minimized?
the last, in the circuit, CL is relative to GND, but in some cases, CL is relative to VDD, and in some cases, two of both is added. what is the difference of the two (CL relative to GND and relative to VDD)?
in the tar file, ldo.jpg

4, in the following pdf, a BPF is mentioned with a external resistor to tune the center frequency f0. but how is this realized? i have checked some papers, but have no ideas yet. can anyone give me some suggestions or advice? it will be very appreciated, thanks.
in the tar file, u2538b.pdf anf bpf.jpg

besides, how to upload more than one picture in the topic.

thanks all for reply in advance. i really need your help.

View Profile   IP Logged
lhlbluesky_lhl

Re: some questions need your help
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2012, 3:46am

can anyone help me? any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
lhlbluesky_lhl

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2012, 4:47am

i really need your advice, waiting for your suggestions, thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
kwkam

Earth
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2012, 7:23am

it looks like student homework, do it yourself

View Profile   IP Logged
lhlbluesky_lhl

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2012, 6:52am

it is not homework, i just want to get your help about the questions i mentioned, it is really appreciated for your advice, please have a look. thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2012, 7:48am

Here's the inverter from question 1.  (Perhaps you should have posted these as separate questions, so you could add more than one picture.)

I don't know what the resistor does, but I have a thought, and I think I would run Spice simulations to compare the waveforms for different values of R.  Put a clock on "in" and either a capacitor or a second inverter on "out" and answer these questions:
1a) does the resistor change the waveform in the transition from high to low?
1b) does the resistor change the waveform in the transition from low to high?
1c) does the resistor change the peak current of the inverter as it transitions from low to high?  (watch the "feed-through" current through both MOS devices as well as the current to the load)
1d) if you moved the resistor to the horizontal section of wire labeled "out" (and had the MOS devices connected directly together as in a traditional inverter), how would the answers above change?

inv_001.jpg

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2012, 5:40am

The resistor may be esd protection.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.