The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 3:38am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
properties of stacked mos device (Read 713 times)
yvkrishna

properties of stacked mos device
Oct 13th, 2012, 2:24pm

Hi everyone,

In shorter geometries as the max lengths get limited people started using stacked mos devices to increase effective length(mosfets in series to increase the length analogous to mos in parallel for increasing total width)

Is there any basic reference document for understanding the properties of this composite device (series stack) like effective vth,vdsat, parasitics, mismatch,noise etc.

Ex: W/L  in series with W/L is equivalent to device of W/2L dimensions.

--To a first order we expect this composite device behaves like a single device with effective length of 2X, is it true for all properties of device?

-- can we really use devices of different lengths ?
is W/L1  stacked with W/L2   equivalent to  W/(L1+L2)??

Thanks,
yvkrishna

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: properties of stacked mos device
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2012, 7:45am

hello,
1. yes, when you have W1/L1 and W2/L2 size transistors the resulting
transistor size from DC characteristics point of view L/W=L1/W1+L2/W2.

2. Effective Vt will be same as top transistor.
3.       Coming to  device intrinsic  mismatch up to it is not effective, the normal saying of larger effective length will not work here. Look reduction of mismatch with bigger size comes from the random averaging theory, instead here effectively you are increasing the size.
       Let us model bottom triode transistor as a resister (for now assume there is no modulation of resistance due to drain voltage variation). In the contest of  degeneration mismatch of the top transistor will be reduced but  resister mismatch will introduced, however resister matches better but here this resister emulated by again Mosfet.

4. Noise is worse, because same reason mos noise worse than degeneration.

So bottom line is this combination will be good from low voltage operation point of view and may be worse from other aspects.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2012, 8:02am

Thanks raja for your inputs.

1.Yes  L/W =L1/W1 +L2/W2

3. But for mismatch I could very well correlate my monte simulation results with a device of effective length and wdith (sim matches well for nmos/pmos across various sizes, bias , number of stacks etc)

Thanks,
yvkrishna

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2012, 11:26am

I agree with raja that in principle you can add the two lengths. But I wonder why you would like to stack two devices. I would have increased the length and only use one transistor. Usually there is some limitation in the design kit, but that is the length need to be shorter than some 25 um or so.

View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2012, 11:35am

@rfidea,

Here I am talking about advanced process nodes with max length not even 5um.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2012, 1:19pm

Aha, I did not know that Lmax was that low for those processes. I do not understand why, though. Is there any technical reason other than logistical such as testing and modeling efficency.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2012, 2:54pm

hello vamsi,
I didn't have ans for mismatch reduction. Whats your simulation setup, have you observed noise reduction simply by replacing mosfet by stacked mosfet? or any modification. If this is the case then  realizing good cascoding with lesser voltage head room could be posb, try to use this.

Thnaks,
Raj.

analog_wiz

Universe
Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2012, 7:19pm

I dont think there is any limit on the length say 5u in smaller gomentries. The only time i use devices in series is to get some very small current mirrored eg:1/2:1/8 (1/8=four 1/2 devices in series).

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2012, 9:41pm by analog_wiz »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2012, 12:59am

Max 5um length is surely a modelling 'thing'.
However for some other layout topologies (such as ELT), there is no other choice than stacking since naturally you have a large effective W/L.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2012, 6:44am

@ analog_wiz,
Can you please explain clear why did you use stacked devices?,i were you i would have done  2:1 mirroring directly rather than using stacked devices, up to me stacked device is equivalent to larger length device, but up to me mismatch will be bad for this combination.

Did you find any reduction in the noise or mismatch, because  yvkrishna noticed reduction in mismatch i just want to check is it consistent with every one.

@Lex  : i heard mainly fabrication limitation due to introduction of Double-pattern lithography metal gate technologies in lower technologies and orientation limitation due to modeling(i am not sure) . What is ELT?  

Thanks,
Raj.

Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2012, 8:13am

@raja.
An ELT MOSFET is where you have the gate completely surrounding the drain. Here is a simple diagram:

ELT.png
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2012, 8:42am

hello Lex,
interesting, this i knew this with name donnet transistor, but haven't seen in any technology.Which foundry is providing this?

Thanks,
Raj.

carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2012, 9:06am

raja.cedt wrote on Nov 28th, 2012, 8:42am:
hello Lex,
interesting, this i knew this with name donnet transistor, but haven't seen in any technology.Which foundry is providing this?

Thanks,
Raj.

You can make an ELT in any process you just have to lay it out by hand (it won't be included as a pcell in the pdk).  You probably have to do a test chip to characterize their performance if you have critical requirements in your application.

They are primarily used for radiation hardness as they are more tolerant of total dose radiation than standard layouts.

View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2012, 9:38am

View Profile   IP Logged
analog_wiz

Universe
Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2012, 10:15am

i used devices in series to generate very less current: say i have 1u through (1u/2u)transistor  and i need to generate 1/4 the current, then i would use (1u/2u) four of them connected in series. Would be interested in hearing if there were any other better methods of generating very low current from a given current.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.