The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Super-source follower (noise analysis) (Read 8471 times)
sandman
Community Member

Super-source follower (noise analysis)
Nov 05th, 2012, 6:00am

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here could point me to any good references for the (low to high frequency band) noise analysis of a super-source follower ? I am using a super-source follower as the input or reference stage of a current-mirror and was trying to figure out the simplest way to characterize its noise performance from DC to sub-GHz frequency ranges.

Any comments or inputs are greatly appreciated!

cheers,
sandman.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Super-source follower (noise analysis)
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2012, 1:09pm

need to define what a "super" source follower is...

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2012, 4:27am

hi Jerry,

The concept is simple and uses negative feedback on a transistor to reduce its output impedance to the a small factor of the inverse of feedback trans-conductance. I found this link that might explain the circuit in some more detail -http://users.ece.gatech.edu/pallen/Academic/ECE_6412/Spring_2004/L290-ReturnRati... (ref. page 6).

This finds typical use in LDO's but I am trying to use this in the reference stage of simple current mirriror.. and then analyse its noise performance at DC to some hundreds-of-megahertz. Any suggestions?

cheers,

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2012, 5:15am

hello,
this analysis is much simpler, just two transistors and two nodes, so you can easily setup o/p noise equation and use std noise integrals to find the resultant. Intuitively now main transistor noise will be circulated around the transistor which is not the case in simple source follower and feedback transistor  noise comes directly into the o/p. Try this if not tel me i can derive full expression.

By the way why you need such source follower in LDO, up to me it gives nothing from o/p impedance point of view (i mean you could use higher gain opamp to get lower impedance) in addition it gives extra poles. Please point out any LDO reference.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2012, 11:03am

hi Raja,

Thanks for your inputs. I will need to dig into the LDO references but I remember several papers on this. I will have to come back to you on this.

I am in fact not using this for my LDO, but rather as an input stage for a current mirror operating from DC to several 100's of MHz. I use the low impedance of the super-source follower as the input, so in effect, I am trying to calculate the noise performance referred back to the Base, as a voltage noise source (in series with the Base of the main transistor)! The schematic is exactly as in the link I mentioned above.

Do you think you could share your derivations here? That would be interesting.

cheers,

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2012, 3:56pm

A high BW current source that is fussy on noise performance?
That's a bit of a contradiction, generally any current source tends to be noisy.

Not having worked with the circuit before, I don't have an answer in my head.
Go back to first principles -If you want to do an analysis, I would simplify
it with small signal models and see what you get.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.