The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
op amp used in charge pumps  for charge sharing / mismatch (Read 7498 times)
mixed_signal

op amp used in charge pumps  for charge sharing / mismatch
Jan 15th, 2013, 5:09pm

Hi,
In charge pumps to remove charge sharing a unity gain opamp is used.
Again to minise current mismatch or increase resistance of current sources, a servo opamp can be used as shown in razavi books.

I want to know which method is more helpful in minimising spurs?
I have power constaraint and want to use only one

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: op amp used in charge pumps  for charge sharing / mismatch
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2013, 2:58am

hello,
Can you please post schematic? Very Generic but famous charge pump attached, please check this.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2013, 9:02am

Hi raj am talking abt the one u have attached for removing charge sharing.

I have attached the one in razavi which uses source switching and a servo opamp. Can you give me suggestions on the opamp?
Opamp has to have rail to rail i/p swing. so a complementary nmos+pmos diff pair solves the issue. But i am facing problem in gain stage since most of them use cascode and I have 1v vdd

1_013.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2013, 10:08am

Hello,
Need for rail to rail depends on your VCO, check across the frequency range of interest control voltage range. Some times it won't be rail to rail. Even if you need rail to rail it's not that tough to keep 4 transistors under 1v in this kind of applications. Here op amp don't have any signal swing at the output.

I have one Question in your configuration (which is not similar to one i posted), you have both +ve/-ve feedback here, so how do you ensure -ve dominates the other?

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2013, 1:11pm

Hi,
The left & right strands are exactly symmetric. At DC the circuit is quasi stable or unstable with -ve=+ve. But at high operating frequency , the CPOUT node has a loop filter and hence is  steady  than the vref node or it is a low AC resistance. So, the loop with M2 is weaker.

My question:
My VCO needs control voltage in the range 0.4 to 0.8 voltage. But still, should not i design the opamp for rail to rail because before settling control voltage will traverse near 0 and vdd and it has to be made sure that the opamp has sufficient gain for the cp to be operational. How people usually do it ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2014, 2:53am

Hello,
The source switching charge pump post above is attractive due to its less current consumption.
I try to design this charge pump. But its switching speed is not so high as current-steering counterpart.  
In my case, Icp in DC simulation is 300uA, the bias current is 30uA. And the reset pulse from PFD is 2ns.
I ran transient simulation with no phase error between clk_ref and clk_fb.
The current flowing out from M2's drain did not reach 300uA within 2ns, but about 260uA. But the voltage at M2's source is lift to Vdd as soon as UP is low.
The same situation happened to NMOS counterpart.
why did it take so long for the current source(M2) to reach its steady value?

Best Regards,
Yutao

View Profile   IP Logged
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2014, 3:00am

During coarse tune (the loop is open), set the Vctrl on a value between 0.4~0.8. During lock (the loop is closed), release Vctrl. The input range of opamp will stay within 0.4~0.8.
Hope it is useful.

mixed_signal wrote on Jan 16th, 2013, 1:11pm:
Hi,
The left & right strands are exactly symmetric. At DC the circuit is quasi stable or unstable with -ve=+ve. But at high operating frequency , the CPOUT node has a loop filter and hence is  steady  than the vref node or it is a low AC resistance. So, the loop with M2 is weaker.

My question:
My VCO needs control voltage in the range 0.4 to 0.8 voltage. But still, should not i design the opamp for rail to rail because before settling control voltage will traverse near 0 and vdd and it has to be made sure that the opamp has sufficient gain for the cp to be operational. How people usually do it ?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2014, 11:30am

Strictly speaking I think it is better called charge injection rather than charge sharing. That can be debated, if some academic has used the "sharing" name then more power to them...

One thing not mentioned in a lot of the academic books and is important to charge pumps -

Limit the voltage swing on the gates going into your current steering switches.

Generally:
1 - the  switches end up being minimum geometry.
2 - the following op-amp helps a lot with the flipping back and forth of the charge pump
3 - reducing the control signal voltages (pump up, pump down) on the gates of the current steering transistors further improves performance by getting closer to the ideal switch performance that you want.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.