The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 7:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to plot instantaneous VCO frequency using Cadence Spectre (Read 854 times)
vp1953

How to plot instantaneous VCO frequency using Cadence Spectre
Jan 23rd, 2013, 6:23pm

I am running a transient simulation (with noise) for a VCO. I want to see what the free running frequency drift of the VCO is. I could take the time interval between zero crossings (or a certain number of zero crossings) and estimate the instantaneous frequency - do this several times and then I can get an idea of the frequency drift of the VCO.

I am wondering if there is automated way to do this - say plot the inverse of the time interval between 10 zero crossings continuously along side the time domain VCO output?

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Re: How to plot instantaneous VCO frequency using Cadence Spectre
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2013, 4:24am

VP1953,

I think what you want is the calculator function, freq, it converts
returns the frequency of the waveform. You can select the level to
use for the zero crossings or it will estimate the level for you.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2013, 12:14pm

Hi Sheldon,

Thank you very much. This is exactly what i was looking for.

Best regards..

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2013, 2:40am

If the oscillator frequency is defined by oscillatory energy exchange between an inductor and a capacitor you can use a normalized state-space. The normalized state-space is defined by capacitor voltage and inductor current. You have to normalize so that the oscillatory behaviour gives a circle instead of an ellipse. Than you can extract the angular velocity and get the oscillation frequency in rad/s. Because oscillators also have some nonlinearities there is a ripple in the angular velocity. But you can extract the mean value. This measure is more accurate because finding the zero crossing point by interpolation from some time steps before and after gives additional errors which disturb detailed transient startup or supply impact analysis.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.