The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 6:16am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Design of a 40 MHz pierce oscillator(quartz), steps to follow (Read 16552 times)
smlogan
Community Member

Boston, MA
Re: Design of a 40 MHz pierce oscillator(quartz), steps to follow
Reply #15 - Apr 12th, 2013, 11:37am

Hi Pictou,

The oscillation frequency will always be greater than the series resonant frequency for a Pierce oscillator. It appears you may be using a formula in error. Please do not rely on formulas. It is far better to think about what you are trying to compute and derive the necessary equations. Please also make sure you include the input impedance of your sustaining amplifier.

The impedance of a quartz crystal unit is a very sensitive function to phase. Hence, its power dissipation is very sensitive to phase. You must include the input reactance of your amplifier to determine the operating point on the quartz crystal unit's impedance characteristic. Hence using the formulas you have written so far are not accurate.

Shawn

Shawn
View Profile   IP Logged
Pictou

Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2013, 2:01am

Hello Logan,

So my oscillator model is here :
http://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=3b8d65b711906580170bda9676...

C1 will include input capacitance of the amplifier.
C2 will include output capacitance of the amplifier.
Rin will be assumed to be infinite or at least really high
Rout is around 83Ohm but it may change. My transconductance is 12mS, so the Rout must be around 83 Ohm to have a gain equals to 1.

To determine the drive level of the crystal I'm going to do the following :
- To simplify the problem I will assume that the voltage exciting the crystal is perfectly sinusoidal (I know it's not really the case, in my simulation I have a component in the 2nd and 3rd harmonic at about 5% of my fundamental)
- I will calculate the impedance of the crystal depending on the pulsation w, the relation can be found here, in the electrical model tab :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator

I will simulate the circuit to find the oscillation frequency.
From this I will compute P = VČ/Z(f).

Is this method correct?

Thank you for your help.

View Profile   IP Logged
smlogan
Community Member

Boston, MA
Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2013, 2:49pm

Hi Pictou,

You are not including the non-linearity of your sustaining amplifier. Hence, the small-signal input impedance of the model will not provide an accurate assessment of the oscillation frequency. As a result, since the operating point is in error, the power dissipation will be in error.  I, once again, refer you to the wealth of literature on quartz crystal oscillator design. As I mentioned before, a large signal negative resistance analysis will provide an accurate assessment of sustaining amplifier input impedance from which an excellent estimate of the actual oscillation frequency may be obtained.

With respect to your concern on harmonic distortion, the current through the quartz resonator will have very little harmonic distortion. This is why the computation I refer to in the article uses the rms value of the limiting voltage to assess power dissipation.

Shawn

Shawn
View Profile   IP Logged
Pictou

Reply #18 - Apr 16th, 2013, 12:10am

Quote:
As I mentioned before, a large signal negative resistance analysis will provide an accurate assessment of sustaining amplifier input impedance from which an excellent estimate of the actual oscillation frequency may be obtained.

If I'm not wrong you are refering to :
Quote:
Re{ Zin } + Re {Xtal_unit} = 0 and Im{ Zin } + Im{ Xtal_unit} = 0.

Well I read a lot of things about negative resistance on the internet (publications mostly) most of them stops at the gm_opt to have the best start-up time. I must admit that as most of them stopped their analysis with this tool at this point, I thought that there was nothing more.

About quartz litterature, you must be refering to :
Quote:
Texts by Ballato, Rhea, and Parzen come to mind. Tutorials by John Vig are also a very good introduction to the field.

I think I found John Vig tutorial online (is it a powerpoint?).

If I wanted to fully understand the negative resistance approach for crystal oscillator, which book should I buy to do so?

Thank you for your help and sorry about asking the same questions over and over again, I think that it's still not clear for me.

EDIT : Have you got the titles of the books you advised me to read? I tried finding them online and one of them cost like 700 USD I hope it's not that one.

EDIT 2 : I think I found them all, but they cost a lot of money as an intern I'm not sure I can afford it.
The only book I can buy is :
Design of Crystal and other harmonic Oscillators by Benjamin Parzen. Will this book tell me enough about negative resistance?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 3 :

Okay, I redid the negative resistance simulation by removing the quartz, adding a current source and the C0 of the quartz I'm using (5pF).
Small signal analysis :
The AC signal allowed me go get Re(amp) = -147 Ohm. The ESR of the quartz is 21.58 Ohm, therefore I have gain.
I got the X(amp) by plotting the imaginary part of the voltage drop across the quartz unit, X(amp) = -287 (Ohm?)
The phase calculated is Arctan(-287/-147) = 62.9°. Cadence told me that the phase was -117°, 62.9° - 180° = -117° so it's okay.

Now in order to determine the Re(amp) at steady state I need to run a large signal analysis. And the problem is here, how do I do that?
Do I put the crystal back?
Because if I don't, I don't think that the PSS analysis will converge at all. So my question is how do I simulate large signal analysis?

Thank you very much for your help.

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2013, 2:23am by Pictou »  
View Profile   IP Logged
smlogan
Community Member

Boston, MA
Reply #19 - Apr 16th, 2013, 9:59am

Hi Pictou,

This will be my last post on this topic.

You must use large signal analysis to perform your analysis to determine the reactance of the sustaining amplifier to obtain its impedance for use in estimating the operating point on the  quartz crystal unit resonance curve. As I have mentioned several times, a small signal analysis will not include limiting effects.

Use the Parzen reference for guidance on a negative resistance analysis. There are some errors in his text, but the concept is presented.

You may also refer to Section 2 of the following personal document.

http://pastelink.me/getfile.php?key=7b1bd3

Shawn

Shawn
View Profile   IP Logged
Pictou

Reply #20 - Apr 16th, 2013, 11:54pm

I just want to thank you for your help, there is not much on the internet about how to fully and properly design a crystal oscillator and I was very lucky "to meet" you

EDIT :

Quote:
You must use large signal analysis to perform your analysis to determine the reactance of the sustaining amplifier to obtain its impedance for use in estimating the operating point on the  quartz crystal unit resonance curve. As I have mentioned several times, a small signal analysis will not include limiting effects.

I understand that, it's just that I have no idea how to do a large signal analysis of the negative resistance.

I use a transient analysis on one pin of the current source, from the transient analysis I have a straight line of voltage. From what you said this voltage level should give me information on Re(Zin) and Re(Xtal).
Well, I extracted the real part of that signal using the "real" function in cadence, all I have is the exact same voltage level, therefore the imaginary part is 0, then I'm stuck.

I know it feels like I'm not listenning, thing is, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do when you say "do a large signal analysis"..... sorry about that. Anyway I'm going to read Parzen's book, I'm sure it will help, thank you.

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2013, 7:03am by Pictou »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.