The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 5th, 2024, 3:13am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ringing problem of TIA amplifier. (Read 4059 times)
Jacki

Ringing problem of TIA amplifier.
May 02nd, 2013, 3:59am

Hi,

I face a ringing problem for trans-impedance amplifier. Actually it is not oscillation, it looks like overshooting. But the Opamp in TIA has enough phase margin (80 degree). I cannot figure it out. In the book, usually the phase margin is defined for voltage source, I don't know if it could be used for current source.

But if I change current source to voltage source as shown in the figure, I don't have any problem of ringing (overshooting). Because the phase margin of loop gain is around 80 degree, I can see the overdamping for voltage source.

Could anyone give me some comments?

Thank you.

Jacki.

Untitled_020.png
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Ringing problem of TIA amplifier.
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2013, 7:04am

hello,

While calculating Loop gain or Phase margin why input come into picture? you should make current/voltage=0
You could have use voltage source in series with resister rather //, then both cases will give same PM.

BTW did you check differential PM or single ended PM, check only differential PM Try to use cmdprobe. Show me how amplifier looks Inside.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2013, 7:23am

Hello Raj.

Thank you very much for your comments. I find the possible problem, it could be a zero due to the feedback resistor (there is a feedthrough path). So I need a feedback capacitor Cf in parallel with Rf to generate a pole to compensate this zero. Then ringing problem is solved.

Jacki.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2013, 9:21am

Hello,
If there is no ringing problem then fine, but please note that frequency independent feed-forward path can't generate a zero in the open loop. Generally people use parallel capacitor to create zero which can compensate extra pole's in the loop.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2013, 5:37am

Hello Raj.

Thank you very much for the correction, I think it is the low pass filter for the feedback loop.

Jacki.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2013, 6:11am

The voltage driven circuit, as drawn is being driven incorrectly. As drawn, there is NO feedback at all because it is all shorted out by the voltage source. That’s why it would show no ringing if simulated as drawn. It is attempting to run the TIA as an open loop amplifier!  The resisters need to be put in series with the voltage source in order to have any meaningful result when voltage driven.

Kevin Aylward
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.