The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Solution for inductor behaving like a Capacitor at desired frequency and layout (Read 2368 times)
sweetchoto

Solution for inductor behaving like a Capacitor at desired frequency and layout
May 24th, 2013, 1:29pm

Hi,

I am designing a LNA for 4GHz band. I am having a problem with inductor of lets say 5nH value which i am using as DC short. With ideal inductor the LNA circuit gives accurate results as i expect. But when i replace ideal inductor with real inductor i get in to problem. To analyze the inductor, i simulated it separately. Plotted its impedance vs Frequency graph and it clearly shows me that at frequency of interest inductor is actually behaving more like a capacitor rather than inductor. Inductor resonant frequency is around 10 GHz but around 4 GHz it gets a small dip and than it starts rising again (Like an inductor impedance should with increase in frequency) till 10 GHz and then falls again. Also, its Q factor is really low at 4 GHz.

1-If any one can suggest how to make inductor behave like an inductor at my desired 4 GHz frequncy and improve its Q value ?

2- My second question is related to layout design rules. If anyone can point me to any post/document where i can read about rules and best practices about how to place components from RFin to RFout to make sure that parasitics does not effect the circuit RF performance a lot. It would be really nice.

Really looking forward to some good feedback from the folks here.

/SC

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Solution for inductor behaving like a Capacitor at desired frequency and layout
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2013, 12:18am

Hello,
You should post your inductor layout as well as frequency response, otherwise it's difficult to explain. Looks like you have large area, so better reduce turn width, decrease turn spacing, increase the diameter(means leave higher space between opp current carrying turns).
Use this online cal to get rough estimation.
http://www-smirc.stanford.edu/spiralCalc.html

Use this pap  http://smirc.stanford.edu/papers/JSSC99OCT-mohan.pdf

Hope this helps,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
sweetchoto

Re: Solution for inductor behaving like a Capacitor at desired frequency and layout
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2013, 6:24am

Hi,

Thanks a lot. I will try the things you have mentioned next week. If i still couldnt solve it. I will post the inductor layout along with its response. Thanks a lot for the help. Paper looks really helpful.

/SC

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.