The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 4th, 2024, 3:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cs_cascode amplifier frequency response (Read 7795 times)
GaAs_si

sandy
cs_cascode amplifier frequency response
Jul 12th, 2013, 5:49am

Hi,

Due to mirror pole effect my f3db drops from 780 kHz to 158 kHz, my calculations are not meet the Simulation results. Plz Help me what i need to consider to meeting my calculations with simulation results. Plz find my calculations below.

Thank you

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Re: cs_cascode amplifier frequency response
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2013, 1:33am

From inspection, the dominant pole is Rds of M2 and Cload, Cl. You show gds as 28u (35 kohms) and Cl as 5p, this would be ~890kHz. So, I see your problem. I assume that you have just experimented with VIN DC to get the output DC voltage midway, otherwise two current sources in series are going to rail out one way or another. Are you sure you have the gds correct? Assuming a low early voltage, of say 10V at 5 ua still gets you 2 Mohm, which is way, way larger than 35 kohms. Even if you were using 45nm with say, 1V Early voltage you would be talking 200k for rds. You need to post more details on sizes, currents and processes for a more accurate diagnosis.

Kevin Aylward
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
GaAs_si

sandy
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2013, 12:42am

Thank You Kevin Aylward. I added some more parameters you required.
I am using gds=28.7665u for AC-Magnitude |Av| which meets calculated with simulation results by this I’m hoping the gds02=28.7665u is correct. Other than this I don’t know how to verify gds value.

Thank You

View Profile   IP Logged
tm123
Community Member

Chicago, IL
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2013, 8:54am

GaAs_si,

Try putting a 1A AC current source at the output to simulate the output impedance and compare that to your calculation.  You can also use large ideal inductors (100H for example) to block the 1A AC signal and find the impedance looking into just the drain of the cascode or the drain of the current source.  This method should not effect the DC operating points.

Also, please check that only 1 AC source is on at a time for your simulations.

Tim

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2013, 10:12am

Ok. I now see that you have a huge gain of 100 on your M3 to M2 mirror. Explains the low gds. Stick a 1nf capacitor across the gate source of said transistors and sim again. What does that tell you? What is the impedance looking into M2 drain?

Kevin Aylward
GaAs_si

sandy
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2013, 5:57am

Tim,

I could not understand the procedure that u mentioned to calculate output impedance.

Could you please explain the procedure in detail..???

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
GaAs_si

sandy
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2013, 6:01am

Hi Kevin,

I did the way u asked me to...

And interestingly... simulation values are close to the calculated values.

The dc operating points remain unchanged.

Please see the attachment for better clarity.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
tm123
Community Member

Chicago, IL
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2013, 8:37am

To find the output impedance of this circuit, replace the load capacitor with a 1A AC current source pointing in to the circuit.  After an AC simulation plot the the voltage across this current source.  Since Z=V/I and I=1A, plotting the real and imaginary part of the voltage across the current source is the same as plotting the impedance.  Realize that this is the SERIES EQUIVALENT output impedance, in other words, R+j*X.  You can convert this to parallel equivalent impedance which is what I normally do since I find it easier to work with.  Also, always make sure you inject only 1 AC source at a time in your circuit.  You would be surprised how many times I have seen this mistake.

Now, the use of the large inductor can help in debugging this problem.  For example, place a large inductor (maybe 100H, large enough so the impedance of the inductor is extremely high at your frequency of interest) in series with the drain of M2.  Use the same procedure to find the output impedance as described above, and you should see that the impedance is now the output impedance of your cascode device only.  You can compare this to your calculation, then put the inductor in series with the drain of the cascode and see the output impedance of your PMOS current mirror only.

It seems you have solved the issue with the capacitor on the gate of the current mirror.  Reviewing your calculations, this makes sense since I see you add capacitances Cgd and Cdb of M2 which is incorrect unless the current mirror gate is at AC ground.  I will let Kevin elaborate since it was his suggestion  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2013, 9:56am

It was a hint for you to actually do a small signal analysis of the input impedance of M2. M2 Zo=(1+Zf/Zs)/gm2 in parallel with (Zs+Zf). Zs is the impedance at the gate source of M2. Zf is the feedback impedance across drain gate of M2. Consider the Zf/(gm2.Zs) term. Zs consists of Cgate and 1/gm3. This has a pole up there in the stratosphere, almost, hence consider just the gm3 bit. Zo then becomes, approximately, Zf.gm3/gm2, or ~Zf/100. i.e lower impedance. So, Ggs is being multiplied by a factor of 100, approximately. Feeding a signal through drain to gate, turns on the transistor to suck even more current, hence a capacitance multiplier. Moral, don’t use large mirror ratios.

Kevin Aylward
GaAs_si

sandy
Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2013, 3:44am

Hi Tim,

Thanks a lot for the info. It helped me to verify the M2 impedance correctly. Which match  the calculated value.
Thank You.  

View Profile   IP Logged
GaAs_si

sandy
Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2013, 4:19am

Hi Kevin Aylward,

I worked on your hint. I’m unable to get u fully. could you please elaborate.

Thank You.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2013, 9:49am

What bit is requiring elaboration?

Kevin Aylward
GaAs_si

sandy
Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2013, 12:16am

Hi Kevin Aylward,

how did u get the equation for Z0
i.e., the impdance for M2 ?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #13 - Jul 19th, 2013, 4:58am

Apply a voltage at M2 drain, Vo. The voltage across the gate source due to this voltage is given by the potential divider, V0.ZS/(ZS + ZF). ZS is the impedance across gate source, ZF is the feedback impedance from drain to gate. This voltage Vo X gm2 is the current, Io, in M2 drain due to this voltage. Vo/Io is therefore the impedance due to M2, which is (1+Zf/Zs)/gm2. The transistor sucks more current. This impedance is in parallel with the direct impedance of ZF + ZS.

Kevin Aylward
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.