The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 12:41am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BIAS current modeling in Verilog-a /Verilog-ams (Read 4487 times)
hronad

Dallas
BIAS current modeling in Verilog-a /Verilog-ams
Aug 13th, 2013, 3:34pm

Hi,

I am trying to model a  bias current pin (assume 1uA source current), if I define pin as current and assign the value then independent of other block sinking the current, this model will be pumping the current and node voltage can go infinite.

So I defined it as electrical and tried forcing the current and voltage on this pin, then it just takes the voltage assignment, does not show current.

Could you please suggest how to model bias current where if other block not sinking the current, bias pin voltage should go to  supply voltage and no current sourcing, as soon as there is sinking model should source constant bias current and voltage on bias pin should drop.

Similarly how to model sink current ? where I check voltage on sink_bias pin, and sink constant current if voltage is above VDS_sat?

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: BIAS current modeling in Verilog-a /Verilog-ams
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2013, 10:06am

hronad wrote on Aug 13th, 2013, 3:34pm:
Hi,

I am trying to model a  bias current pin (assume 1uA source current), if I define pin as current and assign the value then independent of other block sinking the current, this model will be pumping the current and node voltage can go infinite.

Hi,
limit the voltage.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Re: BIAS current modeling in Verilog-a /Verilog-ams
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2013, 6:40am

A bit of elaboration - let's assume you're trying to model an NMOS bias current source like the output of a current mirror:
- have the model behave like a current source when the voltage is above a certain threshold (normally close to an NMOS Vth);
- have the model behave like a resistor or an open when the voltage is below that threshold;
- some smoothing between these two regions might improve convergence behavior.

For a PMOS mirror it is obviously the other way around...

Cheers,
Marq

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.