The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 7:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase shift of mixer (Read 2667 times)
Chuck

Phase shift of mixer
Aug 26th, 2013, 6:25am

Hi,

I am going to design a circuit and it's important for me to know the relation between the phase of the transmitted signal, and the received one.
I know what the phase of the original transmitted signal is, but after using mixer and down converting the received signal to an IF frequency, I think the phase of the signal would be changed due to the filter used in the mixer. I wonder if what I think is correct, and if so, is there any way to solve this problem?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Phase shift of mixer
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2013, 8:35am

Hi,

what do you mean by "the filter used in the mixer"? Are you deliberately adding a filter, or do you mean just some parasitic RC? Anyway a bandpass filter can be designed to have zero phase shift at the center frequency. Likewise if you mix the signal down to zero IF, the phase shift is zero at DC. I guess its possible (in theory anyway) to design the receiver with zero phase shift at one frequency. The wider your bandwidth, the less the phase variation over frequency.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Chuck

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2013, 8:58am

Thanks for the reply. Say the RF frequency is at 200MHz and the local oscillator is at 250MHz. So the down converted signal would be at 50M, now I need to use a low pass filter to get rid of the higher frequencies. What I did was simulating this system in Matlab and I saw that due to the filter response, there was phase shift between the filtered signal at IF frequency and the original signal. But I need to know the exact phase of the original signal, and I wonder whether phase of the mixed signal would be preserved or not.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2013, 5:49pm

Hi,

it depends on the bandwidth of your low-pass filter. Definitely the phase shift is not going to be zero, but if the bandwidth is wide enough, then the phase shift will be minimal.

In your case, with a 50 MHz IF, your LPF is probably going to cause considerable phase shift. Off the top of my head you could:

1. Use a bandpass filter instead.

2. Digitize the signal first and use a digital filter. You will need a pretty high sampling rate so that your anti-aliasing filter doesn't cause any phase shift.

3. Choose a lower IF?

When you say you need the exact phase, I assume you mean w.r.t the transmitted signal right? If you describe your application a bit you will probably get better responses.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.