The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Less Number of 1s in Delta Sigma ADC: Negative ENOB!! (Read 3899 times)
ksnf3000

Less Number of 1s in Delta Sigma ADC: Negative ENOB!!
Sep 02nd, 2013, 10:06am

Hi All,

I have a question related to Delta Sigma ADC. I am using an OSR of 64 for a 1st order modulator. However,the input signal (sine wave of amplitude 0.5 to 4V @ 200kHz) is being sampled with a very less number of 1s, leading to a very low SNR value. (Negative!!)
Please let me know why I have such a less number of 1s in my output signal. I am using a switched capacitor design for the modulator.
Please see the attachment.
The red signal is the input sine wave.
The blue is the output of the 1-bit DAC which is fed back to the switch.

Thanks!

Regards,
ksnf3000

Screenshot-30.png
View Profile   IP Logged
avlsi
Community Member

singapore
Re: Less Number of 1s in Delta Sigma ADC: Negative ENOB!!
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2013, 9:53am

It looks you have used real circuits and not some ideal elements schematic. can you try to use an ideal circuit to see whether you had this issue??

Winners never Quit,Quitters never Win
View Profile   IP Logged
ksnf3000

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2013, 11:26am

Hi avlsi,

Yes your right. I have used real circuits -transistor level design for 0.35 µm AMS technology. I have used ideal in MATLAB/Simulink and it works fine. I have checked my integrator and comparator also. Seems some issue with my integrator getting saturated. However,do you think this may be the reason for limited number of samples?

Thanks!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Raphael Viera

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2013, 8:46am

Did you solve your problem? I had a negative SNR, but my problem was the input frequency that I changed an forgot to change in the calculation. Is your spectrum according to the NTF or it differs?

View Profile   IP Logged
ksnf3000

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2013, 3:13am

Hi Raphael,

No.it still persists. My input frequency is around 1 kHz. In which calculation have you changed?

My spectrum is according to the NTF. The problem is my opamp (integrator) is getting saturated quickly, thats why it is not able to resolve further values,as you can see in the constant and large number of 1's in the figure when the sine curve is about to change.

Any ideas on this?

Regards,
Kashif

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.