The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 2nd, 2024, 11:14am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
phase plot of an amplifier (Read 13693 times)
GaAs_si

sandy
phase plot of an amplifier
Nov 19th, 2013, 3:03am

Hi all,
I designed an op amp phase is not starting at 0° or 180° can someone please explain why it’s happening like this ?

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
tm123
Community Member

Chicago, IL
Re: phase plot of an amplifier
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2013, 1:30pm

It appears you have 2 AC sources on at the same time.  Try turning off the AC signal on source V28.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2013, 5:07pm

I think its because of your extremely large L and C. It should be nothing to worry about. You could try plotting your frequency response down to a much lower frequency (microHertz for example).

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Tiger_ITRI

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2013, 5:00am

By seeing your gain-plot and phase-plot, I think you are desinging a high gain amplifier. A high gain amplifier, more than 100dB, the first pole may at "negative-frequency" when you apply compensation capacitor. So, if the first pole at negative-freuency your phase-plot is not start from 0deg or 180deg. But this is not the only reason that your phase-plot isn't  start from 0deg or 180deg. You can check the gain-plot and pahse-plot near dc  frequency, there maybe a RHP-zero at dc frequecy. You should still check that too.
Hope you are doing well.  :-?

View Profile   IP Logged
GaAs_si

sandy
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2013, 5:33am

Thank you Tim .I turned off the AC signal on source V28. Still phase plot is not starting at 0° or 180°.  New Graphs are attached below file.

Thank You

View Profile   IP Logged
GaAs_si

sandy
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2013, 5:51am

Thank you Aaron & Tiger_ITRI. I plotted frequency response down to a much lower frequency . Graphs are attached but I’m unable to understand that response .

Thank you

View Profile   IP Logged
tm123
Community Member

Chicago, IL
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2013, 6:39am

OK it looks like that V28 AC source was effecting your result but removing it did not answer your question.  The frequency response has a zero at low frequency most likely caused by the LC you use to break the loop.  Are you able to run STB analysis?  If so I would highly advise using a stability probe called IPROBE from analogLib and running the STB analysis to find the gain/phase margin.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tiger_ITRI

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2013, 2:01am

Yes, you can trying STB analysis and compared these two simulation result.
By the way, if a amplifier is designed rail-to-rail input stage, there maybe zeros at frequency spectrum.

View Profile   IP Logged
GaAs_si

sandy
Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2013, 4:56am

Hi  Tim & Tiger_ITRI  Thank you. I ran STB analysis using IPROBE from analogLib frequency “1 to 1T Hz” and “1n to 1T Hz” I am attaching  Those graphs & set up. It’s not designed for rail-to-rail input stage.

Thank you

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2013, 2:14pm

Never, ever, try to simulate loop gain by breaking the loop. It always gives the wrong answer. There are many creative ways to break the loop: using extremely large capacitors and inductors in the feedback loop is one of those ways. People try to tell themselves it is okay because it only breaks the loop only during AC analysis, but the result is the same: no conclusions can be drawn about the stability of the circuit because you changed the circuit. The results of this simulation is meaningless.

If you are using Spectre, learn to use the stb analysis. If using some other simulator, read http://www.kenkundert.com/docs/cd2001-01.pdf and implement it in your simulator.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2013, 5:27pm

Hi Tiger_ITRI,

Quote:
A high gain amplifier, more than 100dB, the first pole may at "negative-frequency" when you apply compensation capacitor. So, if the first pole at negative-freuency your phase-plot is not start from 0deg or 180deg.

What exactly do you mean here? At zero frequency the concept of phase doesn't have any meaning as far as I understand it. Sorry if I misunderstood your point...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Tiger_ITRI

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2013, 6:59pm

Hi, aaron_do:
The meaning of that I mentioned before is if an amplifier is high gain, such as more than 100dB, these amplifiers may be desinged by applying cascaed techniques, such as chopper or chopper-stabilized, these techniques usually need higher level and robust compensation techniques such as nested-miller frequency compensation ,NMC ,MNMC...etc. By using that techniques, the dominant-pole is much lower than a gerneral operational amplifier, usually, affter compensation, the dominat-pole may not appear in positive spectrum, because it move to negative-frequency axis by milller pole-splitting theorem.
Have a nice day~

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2013, 9:42pm

Hi Tiger_ITRI,

when you lower the dominant pole frequency, it won't become negative. It may move to 0.0001 Hz for example, but not -10 Hz. As I understand it, the bode plot itself is symmetric around 0 Hz for real signals (I believe its rotational symmetry for phase). Another thing is 0 Hz implies DC or never changing (ever). In this case, phase has no meaning. Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Tiger_ITRI

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 1:12am

Hi, aaron_do:
I think I can agree with you. So, I should correct that I mentioned before. Please any one who visist this board, don't follow the concept that I posted before. Many thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
nrk1
Community Member

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2013, 8:43pm

Though I am not as pessimistic as Ken about breaking the loop, the way it is done here is the trouble.  At 1Hz, 1MH inductor has an impedance of "only" 2pi MOhms. Your gain at low frequencies is about gm*sL, which is why you have an extra phase lead of 90 degrees and a magnitude rising at 20dB per decade.

1GH or 1TH inductor should fix this.  It is not only the cutoff frequency of the breaking network that matters,  but also the impedance it presents to the circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.