The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 1:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pll chargepump o/p noise profile (Read 3306 times)
yvkrishna

pll chargepump o/p noise profile
Jan 07th, 2014, 1:58am

Hi,

When I run pss+pnoise using spectre on the chargepump circuit I see an o/p noise profile which has flicker and thermal noise floor, which is expected as shown in the fig here.

However I was expecting the noise profile to have flicker noise(peaks) at every Fref (as its convolution in freq domain since its multiplication of noise waveform with square wave of small duty cycle)

Even if I put 20 harmonics/sidebands in spectre pss,pnoise settings I hardly see any such aliased components in the plot.

Also going by the exact math shown in the paper, the peak of the image at Fref has to scaled by sinc function response which is actually ~1 (and not <<1)

"Enhanced Phase Noise Modeling of Fractional-N Frequency Synthesizers
Himanshu Arora, Student Member, IEEE, Nikolaus Klemmer, Senior Member, IEEE, James C. Morizio, Member, IEEE, and Patrick D. Wolf"

Just wondering why the o/p pnoise plot doesnt contain those images at multiples of fref.

Thanks,
yvkrishna

chargepump_noiseprofile.png
View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Re: pll chargepump o/p noise profile
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2014, 1:22am

Got it. I just need to simulate enough number of samples around multiples of Fref.

Thats why those images are not visible earlier.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.