The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 2:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mismatch problem for carefully layouted circuit (Read 3103 times)
tulip
Community Member

mismatch problem for carefully layouted circuit
Jan 21st, 2014, 1:03am

If I carefully layout the circuit, for example, some reused identical cells are placed in a line and in minimum distance.
1.Does the mismatch parameters be much smaller than the parameters provided by the foundry?
2. If it is the case, can I predict the new MC parameters?
3. Are there some cases that with perfect layout, the mismatch can be ignored?

Thank you Smiley

Not every morning wake up your alarm clock, but dream!
View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: mismatch problem for carefully layouted circuit
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2014, 3:31am

Hi tulip,
I obviously don't know what your FAB did w.r.t. MC modeling, but generally mismatch parameters are for a good layout and you should expect worse matching than given by MC parameters if you do not follow good layout practices.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Tiger9999

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2014, 5:59am

Hi~
The mismatch report given by the foundry is tested under the conditions they assumed but no care for layout techniques. Applying matching layout techniques improves devices matching. Do not confuse or obstacle yourself when deign circuit. Mismatch report is a kind of guideline or reference when your design or layout without applying matching techniques.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2014, 8:46am

I agree with Boe and Tiger9999, even though they are opposite opinions Wink. In general layout asymmetries doesn't affect the spread (standard deviation) of a mismatch. Instead it creates a systematic error, that is, it affects the average (mean) offset. At least that is true in the older processes.

For example, an opamp with good layout might have an offset with a mean of zero and a standard deviation of 1 mV. On the other hand an opamp with poor layout might have an offset with a mean of 2 mV, but the standard deviation will still be 1 mV. The mean offset is not accounted for by the model so it is important to have a good layout.

The one exception that I know of is having metal over the device - in some process this messes up the anneal and results in a larger spread. There may be other exceptions with the newer processes.

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2014, 6:17pm by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
tulip
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2014, 5:15pm

Boe ad Tiger999 have opposite opininons, this reminds me to ask the foundry. Smiley
RobG, thank you for your careful explaination Smiley

Not every morning wake up your alarm clock, but dream!
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.