The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 9:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tune out a wideband balun? (Read 1559 times)
mixed_signal

tune out a wideband balun?
Mar 01st, 2014, 10:23pm

Hi,
I am trying to implement a wideband balun as an intermediate stage in a CMOS receiver.

I want to have  Real(Zin)=Rload where Zin is input impedance looking to primary when secondary has a load Rload in 1:1 balun with l1=l2=1nH and k=1 . (ideal)

Is it necessary to tune out the inductors of the balun? I yes then it becomes a narrowband system.

If I dont tune then Zin, Real (Zin) becomes inductive and has very low real part.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: tune out a wideband balun?
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2014, 8:44pm

Hi mixed_signal,

you do need to resonate the balun in order to minimize loss. However, as I remember it, the balun will give you a wider bandwidth than if you had used an LC. Also, for high impedance ratios, baluns are also less lossy. I wish I had my previous references with me so I could give more information, but it would be quite a chore finding them since I changed jobs.

There are papers on power amplifier design which do a lot of analysis on baluns if you are interested. If I remember correctly, look for an author named Ichiro Aoki formerly from Axiom...

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.