The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 9:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise contribution in Common source amplifier (Read 2639 times)
abhishek dwivedi

Noise contribution in Common source amplifier
Mar 05th, 2014, 8:46pm

Hi,
     I got confused about one noise measurement in Commom source topology. It is a common source and load is a resistance Rd. Output noise is proportional to root(Rd) , it means it is proportional is some way. Therefore, if Rd increases, so as noise power. But if we consider inut referred noise , it is actually inversely proportional to Rd.
Can someone explain this ?

Best Regards
Abhishek

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Re: Noise contribution in Common source amplifier
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2014, 8:48pm

Because the gain is also proportional to Rd.  When you refer the voltage noise to the input you divide by the gain squared.  Therefore when you double Rd you reduce the input referred noise by root(2).  So both the output voltage noise and the gain increase, by the gain wins!

Another way to look at is in the current domain.  Larger Rd means lower current noise (by Thevenin).  You divide that by gm^2 to get the input referred voltage noise.

Larger R, smaller input referred noise.

View Profile   IP Logged
abhishek dwivedi

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2014, 11:18pm

I understand the math part. I want the intuition behind it. Output noise power increases as Rd increases. But input referred noise power decreases. Why this paradox? I mean if we are to reduce the noise say thermal, then we should reduce the value of Rd. I am getting confused with this input referred noise. I understand physically there is no such thing, it is just a tool of understanding circuit noise, isn't it? But the real thing is output noise power. Please forgive my ignorance, I am learning.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2014, 6:12pm

Hi,

treat "input-referred noise" as a way to consider both the noise and the desired signal. When you increase Rd, you increase the output noise, but because the gain increases, the desired output signal strength increases even more. So your output SNR is higher.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.