The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 2:11pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crystal oscillator powered by LDO (Read 8477 times)
Hrishikesh

Crystal oscillator powered by LDO
May 15th, 2014, 3:38am

Hi,

I am working on a Pierce type parallel resonant crystal oscillator. I am able to see the oscillations when I apply an ideal power supply. But when the supply is from an LDO, the oscillation buildup is too slow for the oscillations to be recognizable. The supply level, ramp rate are all similar. I don't see any difference in the amplifier negative resistance or the current output from the supply. Anybody has any idea of the possible cause?

View Profile   IP Logged
ic_engr

Re: Crystal oscillator powered by LDO
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2014, 6:58am

What is the Frequency of oscillation.
Are you aware that you need to add an initial condition ic=(some current) in the Lm (inductor) model of the crystal, else your crystal will not start.

If it is MHz frequency try making ic=5uA. If it is kHz frequency make ic=500nA and give it a try.

Regards

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Hrishikesh

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2014, 9:47pm

Thanks for the reply. The frequency of oscillation is 8 MHz. I was not aware of setting an initial current. But I am able to start the oscillations when I simply ramp up the ideal supply from 0. So is this something relevant only when I use an LDO instead of an ideal supply?

View Profile   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2014, 10:08am

The LRC model of the crystal in simulation is only ideal. There are no inherent noise in the crystal model in simulation to start and let the oscillations grow.

Therefore, the simulation needs an initial condition of some current in Lm.

There are other ways to start, but usually the simplistic approach is the use of initial condition.

Does your LDO have a decoupling capacitor that is large. It could be the ramp up is slightly longer such that the transient on LDO is unable to start the oscillation, contrary to the ideal supply.

Your other test is: use ideal supply as DC (don't ramp-up set DC voltage only by using VDC) then use initial condition current ic=xxx check what is the minimum you need to let the oscillations grow in simulation. May be 1uA or 5uA I don't know.
Remember if you give too large, then the amplitudes will clip therefore give lower values as explained before. If you can succeed in starting with some initial condition for a true ideal DC supply (with no ramp), then the same condition should be used for the case of LDO and your crystal oscillator should start with no problems.

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2014, 1:49pm

ic-engr has good advice, also look on the site here (search time) because I answered a bunch of questions on this a while back.

jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Hrishikesh

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2014, 10:39pm

Thank you very much for all the inputs!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.