The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 2:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
problems Pierce Oscillator design  with IC 6.1.5 using gpdk045 nm (Read 4401 times)
lordem

problems Pierce Oscillator design  with IC 6.1.5 using gpdk045 nm
May 23rd, 2014, 10:03am

Hi all,
i have designed a 920 MHz pierce oscillator using 1v vdd transistors included the 45 nm cadence gpdk045 tech. library . During the schematic simulations phase everything works fine. I did the layout and after post layout simulation using the extracted circuit, my circuit wont oscillate. to try to solve this problem, i added the total parasitics (decoupling capacitances only) on each net/node on the extracted circuit to the original schematic. Adjust circuit design to get it oscillating again. I also fingered all wide transistors. I reduced the length of interconnects. i used higher metal layers for interconnects during new layout design. I ran new post layout simulations using the newly extracted circuit. this time i get a tiny damped oscillation. Now my problem is i don't want to continue in this loop for ever as i have limited time before i tape out my design. I'm calling on all experience analog circuit designers to help me. how to i reduce the effects of parasitics? i haven't accounted for resistances and maybe that is the problem am having. how do i added this to my original schematics so that i would have compensated for all parasitics? or is there another and better way to do this in the design?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: problems Pierce Oscillator design  with IC 6.1.5 using gpdk045 nm
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2014, 7:14pm

It sounds like you need to look into:

Lower the impedance and raise the currents in the circuit.
Net result is  less losses due to loading by parasitics.

Also, look into increasing the gain of your amplifier to compensate for loading losses.

Your issue is probably not "less parasitics needed" but rather "more gain to compensate for losses" and "lower impedances so that the parasitics affect the signals less"

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
lordem

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2014, 7:39pm

Thank you for your suggestions. My amplifier has 3 stages. I suppose to increase the gain, i should redesign the aspect ratio of the transitors? I didn't mention that the resonator for the oscillator will be a Mems FBAR and so far I have just been working with it lumped circuit parameters provided by the manufacturer. So basically I don't have that as a degree of freedom. How do u suggest I go on with reducing the impedances?  Sorry for all the questions but this is my first time.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2014, 11:54am

I saw and replied to your email.

This is a homework or academic project.

I suggest that you do further research and learn how to do the design work, instead of asking for people online to do your homework.

Open the books and learn.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
lordem

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2014, 1:37pm

Thank you sir for all your assistance. I have solved my problems! it was just something simple that i was ignoring. Sorry to have bothered you  :) Smiley.

For anyone out there who may run into same analog design issues, don't hesitate to contact me.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.