The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 3:59pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what is the shunt capacitor in this CS-amplifier? (Read 5342 times)
karaisan

Shanghai
what is the shunt capacitor in this CS-amplifier?
Jun 01st, 2014, 1:28pm

I use a simple CS-amplifier to verify small-signal model.
L=2.35 nH, and I found peak voltage gain at about 25-GHz,
that means a equivalent shunt capacitor Ceq=17.7f

I did not insert matching network because I think ideal voltage source always gives the right voltage at input node, is that right?
If there is no matching, can AC simulation with ideal source gives me maximum gain this circuit provides?
(If we do matching perfectly, maximum gain can be reached, but I want to evaluate at first)

Now the question is that I don't know how to get 17.7fF from DC operating point.

Maybe Cdg+Cgd+Cdd(all absolute value)=17.6fF is close to the derived value, But how to explain it?
I find a little talks about Cdg Cgd Cdd Cgg......, but I don't know how to use them when calculating.

By the way there is another question.
At low frequency(25kHz), I use ideal resistance 500ohm instead of ideal inductor and find voltage gain can be exactly calculated from Av=gm*(rds//RL).
But at 25-GHz, maximum gain reaches only 10 even if wL=1/wC (means reactance=0). Using DC operating point, it should be Av=gm/gds=11.6, so why it degrades?
Compare to low frequency, how to calculate?
Thanks!

snapshot18.png
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: what is the shunt capacitor in this CS-amplifier?
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 2:11am

Hi,

for the calculation of the drain capacitance, your main contribution is the gate to drain cap. For the gate to drain cap, you need to add the intrinsic cap and the overlap cap. You also need to multiply by the miller multiplication factor (in your case about 1.1). So looking at your numbers I see (7.7f + 5.18f)*1.1 = 14.17fF. Then you need to add in your drain junction cap. Seems that they also have a Cds. I'm not sure where that comes from...maybe metal to metal? Anyway if you add them up its pretty close.

Then circuit you are simulating is not as simple as you think. There is a feed forward current through Cgd which is not in phase with the current through the channel. So at high frequencies, the apparent current coming out of the device drops. Hence the use of the transit frequency which is the frequency where the current gain drops to zero.

Quote:
If there is no matching, can AC simulation with ideal source gives me maximum gain this circuit provides?

No. There are different ways of characterizing maximum gain, such as unilateral power gain, and maximum stable gain. It also depends what kind of gain you are talking about. In your case, you seem to be talking about voltage gain, not power gain. Voltage gain can be achieved without power gain.

My thoughts are that in practice, voltage gain can be more meaningful than power gain due to the limited Q of components. However, purely theoretically, I feel that power gain is more meaningful, and no power means no signal.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2014, 5:53am

Hi Aron,
I didn't your miller cap calculation, is it from Cgd(1-1/A)? is some thing around 1.08

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2014, 7:32am

Yeah but how did you get 1.08? 1/(1-1/10) = 1.111...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
karaisan

Shanghai
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2014, 12:41am

HI, first I have checked the calculation above.
The shunt capacitor is miller capacitor in addition of Cds.
Definition of Cds is "capacitive current out of the drain due to a change in source voltage".
but source node is actually short to ground, so why add it?

I have proved that maximum voltage gain degrades because some current doesn't flow through M1.

C1=Csg+Cbg=8.75f, C2=Cdg-Covlgd=12.88f, L3=2.35n
Z1=-730.49j, Z2=-496.26j, Z3=367.7j
voltage division = 0.85 and closed to
maximum volatge gain drop expressed as 10.1/11.56=0.874
but notice that
1) I ignored some capacitors are negative(otherwise reactance of them should be positive), does that matter?
2) I didn't take Covlgs into account because I think source node is short to ground, is that right?

3) I also check output noise.
In simulation configuration, I choose outpout as voltage (drain node of M1 as positive and gnd as negative), and input as probe (the ideal volatge source). I run noise and pnoise simulation.

Results are same, that at 25-GHz, output noise equals 164V^2/Hz.
But I found in "noise parameter" output, total noise of M1 is 131.9V^2/Hz, that does not equals 164.

in "noise contribute" output, total noise of M1 is 164V^2, there are some extra items: M1.rg M1.rb M1.rs.

It seems M1.rg M1.rb M1.rs are gate, bulk, source resistance thermal noise, but if it were right, what is /M1 with para rs (value = 7.79e-18), and why para of "M1.rg .rb .rs" are rn? what is rn?
also why M1.rg .rb .rs does not appear in "noise parameter" output?
Thanks for patience!
( I think noise parameter and noise contribute are different, but don't know details, and there are too many cadence help documents I can't find the one I need.)

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2014, 7:43pm

For specifics about what the different parameters mean, maybe you can check out this book,

MOSFET models for SPICE simulation including BSIM3v3 and BSIM4 by William Liu

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't really remember the details. I did my own research a while ago, but didn't really need to use it so much...

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
karaisan

Shanghai
Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2014, 10:24pm

Thanks.
I will post a result of this problem lter.
I used to deisgn circuits like this (many people around me also),
1) study some qualitative analysis about existent circuits from textbooks, papers or discussion
2) do some coarse calculations of no help
3) iterative design in "try and error" style
and now I regard this so called "intuitive emprical design method" as bottleneck, and how do you design circuits?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.