The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:40pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What happens after the ADC in a wireless receiver...? (Read 3432 times)
solanojedi

What happens after the ADC in a wireless receiver...?
Jun 10th, 2014, 1:04am

Hi everyone,
this question is probably off topic but I'll try.
I'm an analog RF designer, mostly involved in analog blocks design for wireless communications (LNA, mixers, op amp etc...). I was just curious (and ignorant...) about what happens to the digitized received signal in a receiver, after the ADC. For me, the digital baseband is still a mistery.

Could you suggest me some books or papers that describe what happens and could be useful and understandable for an analog designer?
Thanks a lot in any case!

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: What happens after the ADC in a wireless receiver...?
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2014, 10:32pm

Hi,

I don't know very much about it, but I recommend you read about communications networks and the OSI model layers. I guess you're most interested in the PHY layer which directly follows the ADC.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
solanojedi

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2014, 3:50am

Hi aaron_do,
thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm actually interested in the (even conceptual) operations that follows the digital conversion of the signal (like the role of the matched filter: it is always present? Nowadays is implemented in the digital domain?).
Actually I found this book that seems to cover these topics, but probably from a 'system' or 'high-level' point of view: http://books.google.it/books?id=Icq1bNpr3xUC&printsec=frontcover&hl=it#v=onepage...

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2014, 5:50pm

Hi solanojedi,

as far as I know, matched filtering is always done in the digital domain as its not really possible to design matched-filter shapes in the analog domain. As for whether its always included, I think it entirely depends on the application. Check out this webpage:

http://www.seasolve.com/802-11b-phy-ip-core.html

this company is advertising their PHY core (navigate to the block diagram), and you can see the huge difference between the 802.11b and g (uses OFDM).

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2014, 12:56pm

This is a mix of communication channel signal processing (think things like DSP filtering followed by OFDM or n-Mary demodulation systems) and items associated with protocols and higher levels of digital processing associated with routing, ECC, etc, etc.

And it varies from standard to standard.

Suggest getting some books on the subject of phone systems end to end or reading up on the WiFi standards or something similar.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
solanojedi

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2014, 5:08am

Thanks everyone!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.