The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 3:23pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gm=1/R circuit (Read 13954 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Gm=1/R circuit
Jun 21st, 2014, 11:51am

Dear All,
Attached circuit is very well know to every one, but less frequent in usage(haven't seen quite frequently). Looks like it has loop gain of zero, if I assume gm=1/R. can any one coment on this, I mean 0 or less loop gain means more or less open loop. Any impact of this loop gain on normal operation?

Thanks,
Raj.

designers.PNG
View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Re: Gm=1/R circuit
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2014, 5:09pm

Raja,

Why would you think that Gm=1/R? Shouldn't the open
loop gain be something like, gm_M4 * (go_M1 || go_M4)?
The output resistance of M1 and M4 is gds of a transistor
in saturation, not Gm. The output resistance of M1 should
be much larger than Rs so it can be ignored for small
signal
analysis. Of course, you can't ignore it for large
signal analysis. So to me at first glance it seems like the
loop gain should be similar to the loop gain for a one pole
op-amp without a cascode. Certainly the open loop gain will
be low, but it should not be less than one, unless the power
supply voltage is so low the circuit does not setup properly.

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:16am

Hi Raja,

The load resistance looked out of the drain of M4 is 1/gm1(rds1+rs)/rs. So it is approximate 1/gm1 assuming rs is much less than rds1. So it is easy. The loop gain is around gm3gm1/gm2gm4.

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2014, 1:39am

@ywguo: Here feedback taken from drain of M1 means there is drop trough Rs, I guess you miss this point.
@Shedlon: I have even included gds of M1 still same numerator, except minor difference in denominator.

Thanks,
Raj.

nrk1
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2014, 5:54am

Interesting observation-the loop gain is indeed zero. If you evaluate the large signal transfer curve the loop by breaking at the gate of the 4x transistor, it turns out to be an inverted parabola and the operating point(when the loop is connected) is at the top of the parabola.

But this circuit is not much worse than the other circuit where the 1x transistor is diode connected and 4x transistor has R degenerating it. Both have the same operating point (ignoring body effect and assuming square law) and the other circuit has a loop gain of 1/3. The effect of errors will be different. If the 4x transistors threshold voltage changes by dVT, the bias current will change by dVT*gm4 in the circuit posted here and 3/4*dVT*gm4 in the other circuit with 4x transistor degenerated. gm4 is the transconductance of the 4x transistor at the op. point.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2014, 9:08am

Sir,
Thanks for your reply. if posb could you please explain about large signal transfer curve, I didn't understand the parabola concept.. One more thing the other circuit has +ve feedback with loop gain less than 1 so it is stable. My basic question is can +ve fb with loop gain less than 1 has de-sensitive properties like -ve fb??

Thanks,
raj.

ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2014, 7:09pm

Hi Raja,

You are right. I miss the point that the gate of M2 is taken from the drain of M1. But I am confused now. What are the sizes of each transistor in your schematic. And why do you think gm = 1/R?

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2014, 8:24pm

Hi,

Assume the current through the two branches is the same, but the RHS NMOS is 4x larger. Using simple device equations, since Ids ∝ (Vod)2, Vod of RHS NMOS should be half of LHS NMOS for the same current. Assume 1xVod refers to RHS NMOS. So LHS NMOS has 2xVod, and voltage drop across Rs is 1xVod. Since gm1=2I/(2xVod) and I = Vod/Rs, gm1 = 1/Rs. gm2 = 2I/Vod = 2/Rs. So loop gain is 2/Rs*Rs = 2.

BTW, how do you get a loop gain of 0? Is that 0dB = 1?

I don't think weak positive or negative feedback has any desensitization property. So I assume your question is, why does the circuit stabilize to a fixed operating point? You are assuming there must be some feedback mechanism?

Personally, I wonder how well this circuit actually works, since I haven't seen it before. If those current mirrors are ideal, then I don't think this circuit has only 1 operating point. Seems it only requires that Vod,m1 = 2Vod,m2. So as long as the transistors follow square law behavior and the  voltages never saturate, the circuit looks like it could take any current. The feedback mechanism looks like it could be a large signal one, something like in a VCO, where the saturating voltage swing causes the loop gain to drop. In this case, the drain voltage can't rise indefinitely...

Did I make a mistake somewhere? I assumed very simplistic equations...

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2014, 2:27am

@aaron_do,
1. Since gm1=2I/(2xVod) and I = Vod/Rs, gm1 = 1/Rs. gm2 = 2I/Vod = 2/Rs. So loop gain is 2/Rs*Rs = 2.. I didn't understand the bold section, how did you calculate. I guess here your mixing large signal and small signal, I normally don't use Vov in the loop gain however I could be wrong. Many people have been agreed for 0(no 0dB) loop gain.

2.I don't think weak positive or negative feedback has any desensitization property
. I guess week +ve feedback has, because if you check another traditional Gm=1/R circuit which is very robust from PVT point of view (forget about 2nd order effects) with less than 1 +ve fb loopgain.

3.Yes you are correct, this ckt strongly depends on square law, that's many people have tried to bi-pass this dependency and relaying on -ve feedback. check this reference.
http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~Shanthi/iscas2004.pdf

Thanks,
Raj.

aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2014, 7:55pm

Hi Raj,

Quote:
1. Since gm1=2I/(2xVod) and I = Vod/Rs, gm1 = 1/Rs. gm2 = 2I/Vod = 2/Rs. So loop gain is 2/Rs*Rs = 2.. I didn't understand the bold section, how did you calculate. I guess here your mixing large signal and small signal, I normally don't use Vov in the loop gain however I could be wrong. Many people have been agreed for 0(no 0dB) loop gain.

So you agree that gm1 = I/Vod2 and gm2 = 2I/Vod2? Then for the loop gain we break the loop at the gate of M2 and go around the loop. It looks like thats what you did, but your impedance looking out from drain of M4 is (1/gm-Rs). I don't see how you arrived at this result. If I just look at M1 and Rs, when I apply a test voltage at gate of M1, the current = gmVtest, so impedance = 1/gm, not (1/gm-Rs), unless you are making some assumption about the output impedance of M1.

One mistake I see that I made though, since I = Vod/Rs, and I = 4K(Vod)2, then Vod = 1/4KRs. Therefore I = 1/4KRs2. So the current is indeed fixed.

EDIT:
OK I see my mistake, I forgot to take the voltage drop across Rs (same mistake ywguo made). So yes it becomes 2/Rs*(1/gm-Rs) = 0.  

Quote:
I guess week +ve feedback has, because if you check another traditional Gm=1/R circuit which is very robust from PVT point of view (forget about 2nd order effects) with less than 1 +ve fb loopgain.

That's a really good question. So for a circuit with weak +ve feedback, what causes it to reach a stable operating point? Well, if you look at a VCO, if the +ve feedback is less than 1, then the output will not build up. So your original statement isn't always true. Perhaps it is a large signal effect (try calculating the large signal loop gain?). Or perhaps it is simply the result of the model parameters. For example suppose I have a series current source feeding a series resistor and diode, and the diode is ON.

---(->)----[diode]----[res]---GND
      I

So the voltage will be I.R and the diode will have little effect. Even if the diode changes due to PVT, the voltage will still be I.R. That doesn't mean that there is some feedback mechanism working. Just that the circuit is insensitive to the diode.

I dunno, perhaps I am on the wrong track. what do you think?

regards,
Aaron

EDIT:
So I simulated this using ideal MOS devices and the loop gain is definitely 0...

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2014, 2:44am

Hi Aaron,
I am also not an expert but have some idea. I strongly believe the following. "If you can define any parameter in a circuit as a ratio of like elements, definitely there is some -ve feedback, could be strong or week".
1. A simple potential divider, it has some feedback check the attached fig. for example if output voltage increased by small amount immediately feedback will decrease current and regains it's original operating point.
2.Current example, because outcome is (gm)/(1/r).

Coming to your current source example, I think you are slightly wrong in fact it has sensitive because after all it is current source pumping into a resister and diode small signal resistance(Vt/Ic). Most of the people use this insensitive  assumption to make their life easy in DC calculation (However I could be wrong.). In-fact you can argue the following to show that there is no feedback, Increasing in the current will results increase in the voltage which doesn't change any parameter.

Thanks,
Raj.

Untitled_031.png
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2014, 5:55pm

Hi Raj.,

I dunno. I'm sure some people would argue that you're stretching the definition of feedback here. As you say, any time the transfer function looks like x/(y+z) you can divide by y and it will become x/y/(1+z). Then you can model it as a negative feedback system. But that doesn't guarantee that any signal is fed back from the output to the input...

Its interesting to think about anyway.

For the diode and resistor, it depends on the size of the resistor and what you mean by sensitive. Insensitive IMO means it is not much affected, but doesn't mean that it is completely not affected. I'm simply pointing out that there are scenarios where a circuit has a fixed operating point and is insensitive to PVT, but there is no -ve feedback.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
nrk1
Community Member

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2014, 4:17pm

The parabola is the large signal transfer curve from the Gate of the larger transistor to the feedback point with the lip broken. Basically the same thing you evaluated, but in large signal. No there is no desensitisation here.

raja.cedt wrote on Jun 25th, 2014, 9:08am:
Sir,
Thanks for your reply. if posb could you please explain about large signal transfer curve, I didn't understand the parabola concept.. One more thing the other circuit has +ve feedback with loop gain less than 1 so it is stable. My basic question is can +ve fb with loop gain less than 1 has de-sensitive properties like -ve fb??

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2014, 7:28am

Sir,
Thanks for your reply. I agree here there is desensitisation just because no loop gain. In case of increase in temp or PVT change current automatically change to adjust gm, I feel this is restoring mechanism or desensitisation. Could you please tell me where I am wrong here..

Thanks,
Raj.

aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2014, 5:45pm

Hi Raj.,

I'm not sure if you understood my point. I don't think its a restoring mechanism. Simply put, gm is insensitive to changes in PVT. For example (just an example),  a current mirror. The current gain is insensitive to PVT because the devices are matched. But that doesn't mean that there's any feedback involved. In your case, maybe

gm ∝ (1+ΔT/1000)

it doesn't imply that there is any feedback...

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.