The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:36pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Relaxing the matching requirement in first stage of Pipeline ADC (Read 4819 times)
SNIKE

Relaxing the matching requirement in first stage of Pipeline ADC
Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:35am

Hi Members,

I have a question in pipeline ADC's.
I am designing the following bits per stage

4bits per stage first stage followed by 9 1.5 bits/stage.
There is a digital correction so end number of bits is 12Bits.

Since the first sub ADC already resolved the MSB's, does this mean that my first MDAC/gain stage capacitor matching requirement is only 9Bit and not 12 bit?? Since only the residue plot is sent to subsequent stages?

Please enlighten me on this?

Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Relaxing the matching requirement in first stage of Pipeline ADC
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 1:22am

Hi,

if you split up the operation, you can think of it as first calculate the residue and then amplify. In that case, the residue needs to be 12b accurate wrt the full scale input of the ADC, but only 9b accurate wrt the maximum swing of the residue. After amplification, it needs to be 9b accurate wrt full scale. But anyway I guess you can't look at an actual MDAC so simply. Of course, the output after amplification needs to be 9b accurate wrt full scale.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
SNIKE

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 1:31am

Yes I was thinking on the same lines.
The "Residue" needs to be 12 bit, which doesn't depend on capacitor matching. The residue is a sample of vin and DAC out, and at this point the ratio of capacitors still don't come in to picture.
The gain depends on capacitor matching, which requires to be only 9bit.

Let me know if my thinking process is wrong.

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 5:41pm

I'm confused by the terminology you and Aaron are using.  Typically "residue" refers to the analog MDAC output, so the cap matching is part of it.  If you think of the residue of a stage as an analog representation of the quantization error of the stage's sub-ADC it should be obvious that converting more bits in a stage relaxes the requirements on the MDAC of that stage.

So, if you have a 4-bit first stage (i'm guessing it's really 3.5-bit??) then, yes, your MDAC only needs to settle to 1/2 LSB @ 9 bits.

View Profile   IP Logged
SNIKE

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 6:04pm

thanks carl,

by  "residue" I meant Vin-Vin_digital.
I should have clarified it.

Thanks
Sai

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:28pm

hmmmm.... vin - vin_digital is not actually a term that exists in the ADC.  Did you mean vin minus the analog form of the reconstructed vin_digital?  This is what is typically called a residue.

Recall that in practical pipelined ADCs the sampling, gain, and subtraction are done by a single circuit (the MDAC) so the idea of vin - vin_digital doesn't have physical meaning.

If you're designing the ADC in a standard way the residue accuracy requirement of the first stage would be 9 bits.

View Profile   IP Logged
SNIKE

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:33pm

Yes I meant Vin-VdacOutput.
In my head I am trying to imagine in following way:
Step 1) Vin is sampled on a capacitor.
Step 2) Vin is partially digitized by sub ADC, this code is converted in to Analog form [ for example + vref , 0 or -vref].
step 3) subtract Vin - Vdacoutput.
Step 4) send them trough a gain stage. This gain stage depends on capacitor ratios, so matching matters here.

even tough some steps occur simultaneously , the above steps help me understand the concept.

Now with your help and Aaron's I understand it fully.
Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:25am

You're almost there!

Main change I would make to your list is that the step four happens at the same time as steps 2 and 3, so the capacitor ratios matter for all three steps.  The reason we use redundancy (such as the 1.5-bit stage) is so that capacitor mismatch in steps 2 and 3 don't affect the overall performance of the converter.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2014, 6:29pm

Hi Guys,

first off, carlgrace would know this far better than me....  :P

Anyway I did mention that in a real MDAC you can't look at the operation so simplistically mainly because as carlgrace said the operations happen at once.

I have one question though.

Quote:
The reason we use redundancy (such as the 1.5-bit stage) is so that capacitor mismatch in steps 2 and 3 don't affect the overall performance of the converter.

the residue of the MDAC is digitized by the rest of the ADC which can be modeled as a lower resolution ADC. If the residue is non-linear, then how can redundancy help to correct it? I thought that redundancy corrects for sub-ADC errors.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2014, 6:05am

Hi Aaron,

I should have been a bit clearer.  The 1.5-bit stage means that cap mismatch doesn't cause nonlinearity in the subDAC (because any two points are linear, or three in a differential sense).  So, the only place cap mismatch hurts you is in the gain function of the MDAC when you're using a 1.5-bit stage.

If you're using a multi-bit stage, then you're right, mismatch in the DAC can cause issues.   Thanks for pointing that out.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2014, 3:42pm

A major part of his question hasn't been answered. Unless you want to calibrate, the first stage capacitor matching does need to be 12 bits. The opamp open loop gain also has to be greater that 2^12 (72 dB). This will ensure that the output of the first MDAC is at least 9 bit accurate.

Also - a minor point, redundancy is used so that the comparators in his 3.5 bit sub-ADC don't have to be 12 bit accurate. Cap mismatch (and low opamp gain) will only cause an error in the gain of the MDAC as Carl pointed out, but that gain error will limit the performance unless it is calibrated out.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2014, 7:45pm

there needs to be a "like" button or something like that so we can see how many people agree with the comment.

Anyway for the opamp, the gain needs to be even higher to take into account the closed-loop gain right?

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2014, 8:15pm

aaron_do wrote on Jul 29th, 2014, 7:45pm:
Anyway for the opamp, the gain needs to be even higher to take into account the closed-loop gain right?

A bit higher so that isn't the limiting factor, but the loop gain doesn't figure into it (to first order). For example, suppose you had a 72dB open loop gain opamp. This is (barely) good enough for a 12 bit ADC. (Actually I guess it might need to be 78dB to get within 1/2 LSB.) If you wanted to get 1.5 bits in the first stage your gain would be two and your loop gain would be 66dB. This isn't a problem because the output only has to be good to 11 bits. Similarly, if you were doing 3.5 bits in the first stage you'd want a gain of 8, resulting in a loop gain of 54dB. Again, this is ok since the output only has to be accurate to 9 bits. Does that make sense?

In the real world you'd want more margin... I take as much as is easily achievable so I don't have to worry about it over corners. Or whether it is 72dB or 78dB Smiley. Also, the input capacitance of the opamp reduces the loop gain.

View Profile   IP Logged
SNIKE

Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2014, 8:22pm

"What if we needed much higher resolution than 10 bits?
– Digital calibration
– Multi-bit first stage
• Each extra bit resolved in the first stage alleviates precision
requirements on residue transition by 2x
• For fixed capacitor matching, can show that each (effective) bit
moved into the first stage
– Improves DNL by 2x
– Improves INL by sqrt(2)x
• Multi-bit examples: [Singer 1996] [Kelly 2001] [Lee 2007]
B."

This is from Stanford 315B course by Boris Murmann.
I am confused, this is opposite to the comments in the thread.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #14 - Jul 29th, 2014, 9:21pm

Snike - Murmann's observations seem consistent with everything said here.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.