The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 9:09pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Relaxing the matching requirement in first stage of Pipeline ADC (Read 4984 times)
SNIKE

Re: Relaxing the matching requirement in first stage of Pipeline ADC
Reply #15 - Jul 29th, 2014, 9:39pm

Sorry still confused.
So can I use a capacitors whose matching is just 9 Bit to generate a 12 bit output,assuming my first stage is 4Bit (3.5bit).

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #16 - Jul 29th, 2014, 10:22pm

Hi SNIKE,

I think your best bet is to look at the transfer function and also do some system level simulations. Boris Murmann is probably right...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #17 - Jul 30th, 2014, 8:47am

SNIKE wrote on Jul 29th, 2014, 9:39pm:
Sorry still confused.
So can I use a capacitors whose matching is just 9 Bit to generate a 12 bit output,assuming my first stage is 4Bit (3.5bit).

I'm 99% sure you need a 12 bit accurate DAC on the first stage because the errors are multiplied by the increased first stage gain, but after looking at the Kelly paper [Journal of Solid State circuits, Dec 2001] I wonder if I'm wrong.

If anyone can knows why this is true (or false) I'd like to know. I can agree with the paper that the DNL improves by sqrt(2) (contrary to the Murmann claim of 2x) but the number of elements doubles so I think the INL stays the same.

Murmann might be keeping the unit capacitor the same size and doubling the total capacitance, which would give 2x improvement in DNL and sqrt(2) improvement in INL.

Like Aaron says, do some modeling.  You can download SciLab for free if you can't use Matlab. Definitely don't blindly believe any paper's equations without understanding the assumptions.

Please let us know the results.

View Profile   IP Logged
SNIKE

Reply #18 - Jul 30th, 2014, 10:44am

Hi Rob,

Thanks for pointing me to Kelly's "JSSC".
I was always checking their ISSCC , where they don't talk much about matching.
I am trying to model the ADC, the problem is the model spits out what equations I plug in.
So hand calculation is as good as modelling.

Now I am clear about the matching part. I am convinced that dnl improves by sqrt(2).

Thanks all for the discussions.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #19 - Jul 30th, 2014, 11:07am

OK - for what it is worth, meeting your kT/C noise requirement probably requires a big enough capacitor that matching isn't an issue for SNDR.

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #20 - Aug 1st, 2014, 11:03am

RobG wrote on Jul 30th, 2014, 8:47am:
SNIKE wrote on Jul 29th, 2014, 9:39pm:
Sorry still confused.

I'm 99% sure you need a 12 bit accurate DAC on the first stage because the errors are multiplied by the increased first stage gain, but after looking at the Kelly paper [Journal of Solid State circuits, Dec 2001] I wonder if I'm wrong.

If anyone can knows why this is true (or false) I'd like to know. I can agree with the paper that the DNL improves by sqrt(2) (contrary to the Murmann claim of 2x) but the number of elements doubles so I think the INL stays the same.

Murmann might be keeping the unit capacitor the same size and doubling the total capacitance, which would give 2x improvement in DNL and sqrt(2) improvement in INL.

The DAC linearity requirement is reduced in a pipelined ADC using a multi-bit first stage because the coarse conversion of the first stage happens BEFORE the residue is generated, it's as simple as that.

If you have a 12-bit converter, and a 3.5-bit first stage, you're converting the 3 MSBs of the your input signal before it even touches the op amp.  The output residue will then be converted by the backend of the ADC, which in this case is a 9-bit converter.

This effect is one of the main reasons you use a multi-bit first stage (the other is power dissipation).  The idea is if you use a multi-bit first stage you can make a 12-bit linear ADC with 10-bit capacitor matching (for instance).

BTW I made some lab measurements a few years ago that were consistent with Kelly's paper (assuming the matching data from TSMC was accurate).

Rob is probably right about the kT/C driving the cap size.  That is usually the case in my designs (which is why I like the pure 1.5-bit/stage architecture so much).  Be careful when calculating kT/C requirements for your converter as there are a lot of mistakes in the literature.  

Murmann (he's a helpful guy!) has an excellent tutorial on calculating noise in a switched-cap amplifier the right way:

"Thermal Noise in Track-and-Hold Circuits: Analysis and Simulation Techniques" in IEEE Solid-State Circuits Magazine, June 2012

View Profile   IP Logged
SNIKE

Reply #21 - Aug 1st, 2014, 11:13am

Hi Carl,
I decided to use digital calibration. My simulations show that for noise purpose 0.5pF is Ok [ need 2pF in total ].

Rob do you have any pointers to calibrating 1.5Bit system? I found Karnicolas Calibration very simple. I am looking for using Karnicolas technique for 1.5Bit system.
I don't want a complex calibration scheme like background calibration or calibrating finite OTA gain.

Yes I am following Murmann's method. He was my Professor Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
SNIKE

Reply #22 - Aug 1st, 2014, 11:15am

Sorry *carl Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #23 - Aug 1st, 2014, 11:16am

Dagnabbbit Carl, now I'll spend the weekend thinking about this instead of sleeping peacefully  ;)

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #24 - Aug 1st, 2014, 11:28am

SNIKE wrote on Aug 1st, 2014, 11:13am:
Rob do you have any pointers to calibrating 1.5Bit system? I found Karnicolas Calibration very simple. I am looking for using Karnicolas technique for 1.5Bit system.
I don't want a complex calibration scheme like background calibration or calibrating finite OTA gain.

Yes, listen to Carl on the subject of calibration.  ;) He actually has done a lot of work on the subject.

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #25 - Aug 1st, 2014, 3:18pm

Thanks for the kind words Rob.  Do think it through... I've had many a sleepless night thinking about this stuff over the years.

SNIKE:

The Karanicolas algorithm is the way to go.  I've used it on several converters.  Only do background or nonlinear calibration when you have to... it's MUCH more complicated.  BTW, the Karanicolas algorithm *does* correct for finite opamp gain, just not for non-constant opamp gain.

in it's original form, the Karanicolas algorithm is only applicable to stages with a single decision level (he used stage gain less than two to get redundancy).

Soenen extended the algorithm to converters using redundant signed digits technique (like 1.5b/stage).  I recommend you use that.

The paper is:  Soenen and Geiger, An Architecture and An Aglorithm for Fully Digital Correction of Monolithic Pipelined ADCs IEEE TCAS-II March 1995

Main mistake I see new designers make is in their reference design.  remember an error in your reference is the same as an error in your MDAC.  Make sure you design the reference buffers carefully and simulate them!

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #26 - Aug 11th, 2014, 9:26am

RobG wrote on Aug 1st, 2014, 11:16am:
Dagnabbbit Carl, now I'll spend the weekend thinking about this instead of sleeping peacefully  ;)

It's time to swallow my pride and agree with Rob now.  

He's right about the matching requirement on the DAC capacitors.  I went through it this weekend and convinced myself the DAC linearity has to be at least as accurate as the current and downstream stages.  So, for a 14-bit ADC, the first-stage DAC has to be 14-bit linear regardless of how many bits you convert.  You were right, Rob.

That said I think the confusion arose because I tend to use 1.5-bit stages whenever possible.  In a 1.5-bit stage, the DAC is inherently linear in a differential sense so the cap matching only affects the closed-loop MDAC gain.  There the requirement DOES relax if you have a multi-bit stage.  So, while a multi-bit stage won't relax your cap matching requirement, it will relax your open-loop opamp gain requirement.

Hope you didn't lose too much sleep, Rob!  ;)

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #27 - Aug 11th, 2014, 10:15am

Oh man, we passed each other on the road to learning! I did lose a lot of sleep and tried an analysis and was going suggest the answer was sqrt(Rob*Carl). Don't worry, I hardly sleep these days anyway.

I was so tired I'm not sure what my notes mean, lol, but I think I found with 1.5 bits/stage the cap matching just affects the gain like you just said so we now agree there. However, if you do 2.5 bits/stage the requirements drop by sqrt(2) assuming you keep the total cap value the same (so I was wrong there - but this is what Kelly's paper says). This seems to indicate he'd need 12 bit matching for 1.5 bit/stage (what next stage errors!). 11.5 bit matching for 2.5 bits/stage, and 11 bit matching for 3.5 bits/stage, etc.

I don't know.. the analysis isn't super easy and the next stage adds errors too. It is easy to overlooking something so a good model is essential.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.