The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 5:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Passive circuit voltage gain (Read 137 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Passive circuit voltage gain
Sep 03rd, 2014, 3:39am

Dear all,
While reading Fast analytical techniques for
electrical and electronic circuits
book I found the attached passive circuit with voltage transfer function >1(1.12). I still didn't get the point,  how can passive circuit gives voltage gain. Can any one explain me the reason.

Thanks,
Raj.

passive_gain.PNG
View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Passive circuit voltage gain
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2014, 4:33am

A passive circuit can get voltage gain by a change in impedance. Conservation of energy is what's important. A transformer or LC network would do the job.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2014, 2:58pm

the circuit drawn has a DC supply, so for that the C's fall out of the operating point.

Many circuits without amplifiers can give gain (reactive elements, switched capacitors, etc)

purely DC? that means the LC elements are all invisible, so I don't see that.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2014, 3:38pm

@Aaron: Yes I know, we have to consider to energy conservation rather voltage gain. Till now I haven't come across any RC circuit with voltage gain>1

@loose-electron: no it's about some intermediate frequency. Can you give me one RC example. The reason why I am asking about this is, many LC networks provide gain >1 but these gain could be V/I or I/V but I haven't seen any Rc,LC ckt with V/V or I/I>1...

Thanks,
Raj!

RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2014, 3:53pm

I can't remember how it actually works, but if the capacitance is voltage dependent it can be used to create gain. See http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1234357&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi...

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2014, 5:03pm

Hi,

If you include active elements like diodes or switches then there are other ways to get voltage gain. For purely passive switches, I don' know of any circuit which can give voltage gain at DC.

A transformer obviously can give voltage gain. I think you may have some confusion about LC networks (just read about the L-match) because they can also readily be designed with voltage gain (not just V/I or I/V). For RC, the amount of voltage gain which can practically be achieved might be very limited since they are inherently lossy (unlike LC networks) which is probably why you don't see them. I've never tried this circuit before, I'm just assuming the author wasn't lying.

Aaron

P.S. I just came across this article online called, "AC Voltage gain using just resistors and capacitors?" by Kendall Castor-Perry. You might want to google it...

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2014, 2:24am

Dear Aron,
I still some how not convinced how it can give >1 gain (intuitively), any how I have to sit and  think properly. But thanks for the excellent doc.

Raj!

Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2014, 2:53am

I guess the text is about the zeros in the transfer function.  ;)

View Profile   IP Logged
A Kumar R
Community Member

India
Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2014, 2:17am

Raja,

A quick analysis of the transfer function revealed it has a pole and a zero. For C1=C2 & R1=R2 case....zero occurs in front of the pole, which means, magnitude rises (>1) with frequency for sometime.

Bye.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.