The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 10:56am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
why input is matched when complex conjugate match? (Read 5980 times)
dog1
Community Member

why input is matched when complex conjugate match?
Oct 20th, 2014, 6:58am

I have a confusion about input matching. I know that S11=0 when input is complex matched. On the other hand, the equation for S11 is S11=(Zin-Z0)/(Zin+Z0), it is 0 when Z0=Zin, not its complex conjugate. Why is that?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
totowo

SH, PRC
Re: why input is matched when complex conjugate match?
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2014, 11:17pm

" S11=0 when input is complex matched" .  It's wrong.
You should distinguish between "complex match" and "transmission line match". They are NOT identical.

I'd like to show you an example:
Zs=25 Ohm,   Zload=100 ohm,   connected with a lamda/4 length lossless transmission line (Z0=50);
Obviously, Gamma_s or Gamma_L is not equal to 0;
but they are conjugate matching in any position of the transmission line.

dog1 wrote on Oct 20th, 2014, 6:58am:
I have a confusion about input matching. I know that S11=0 when input is complex matched. On the other hand, the equation for S11 is S11=(Zin-Z0)/(Zin+Z0), it is 0 when Z0=Zin, not its complex conjugate. Why is that?

Thanks!

View Profile totowo totowo   IP Logged
dog1
Community Member

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2014, 9:52am

Thanks for your answer. I was thinking the same way. It is just that Cadence report S11=0 (<-300 dB) when the input is complex conjugate matched (I chose a complex Zs for a port and added a complex load impedance), and I cannot get through this.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2014, 12:53am

Complex conjugate is for maximum power transfer. Impedance match is for minimum reflection.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
dog1
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2014, 3:58am

@totowo I think I didn't make myself clear. I mean I also think they are not the same thing. But in your example, I think that the cadence would be giving S11=0 and that is understandable. because in your case, if a input port (Rs=25) is connected to a 1/4 transmission line (Zo=50) loaded  with Rl=100, then the reference impedance the simuator assumes is 25. and the input impedance it sees at the input port is 25, so S11=0. What I am confused is that when the source impedance is complex, why is the simulator giving S11=0 when it is complex conjugate matched instead of just Zs(==Z0)=Zin?

@aaron I agree with you. But why is cadence giving S11=0 when it is complex conjugate matched instead of just Zs(==Z0)=Zin? Does that have something to do with how cadence defines the reference impedance? (I never get clear how the "port" is defined when its impedance is complex in cadence)

Thanks!

Regards,

Chen

View Profile   IP Logged
totowo

SH, PRC
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2014, 5:27pm

1. Don't use complex impedance in PORT of cadence...In my experience it seems to move the imag part into the load and only take the real part as source impedance (Zs);

2. In cadence port, an implicit  condition is the reference impedance (Z0) is identical to source impedance (Zs). Thus in cadence simulation, Gamma_s or Gamma_L is always equal to 0.

In one word, don't use cadence to validate the MW fundamental theory, because it will make you more confused Smiley

dog1 wrote on Nov 15th, 2014, 3:58am:
@totowo I think I didn't make myself clear. I mean I also think they are not the same thing. But in your example, I think that the cadence would be giving S11=0 and that is understandable. because in your case, if a input port (Rs=25) is connected to a 1/4 transmission line (Zo=50) loaded  with Rl=100, then the reference impedance the simuator assumes is 25. and the input impedance it sees at the input port is 25, so S11=0. What I am confused is that when the source impedance is complex, why is the simulator giving S11=0 when it is complex conjugate matched instead of just Zs(==Z0)=Zin?

@aaron I agree with you. But why is cadence giving S11=0 when it is complex conjugate matched instead of just Zs(==Z0)=Zin? Does that have something to do with how cadence defines the reference impedance? (I never get clear how the "port" is defined when its impedance is complex in cadence)

Thanks!

Regards,

Chen

View Profile totowo totowo   IP Logged
dog1
Community Member

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2014, 9:18am

Thanks! I agree that probably it is probably the "port" that is messing things up.

Chen

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.