The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Loop bandwidth of PLL (Read 2764 times)
J_im

Loop bandwidth of PLL
Oct 21st, 2014, 11:56pm

Is there any measurement technique to measure the actual loop bandwidth of a PLL module. I am asking about how to calculate it by using any formula. Please advice. Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Loop bandwidth of PLL
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2014, 1:33am

measure in the lab or determine from simulation?

you can do 2 different things in the lab - characterize the step response (step in phase/frequency and watch the loop respond) or characterize the response to a FM signal.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Loop bandwidth of PLL
Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2014, 3:52am

1. I modulate the refclk phase at various offset frequencies (e.g. 50kHz to 20MHz) and measure the height of the resulting spurs on the spectrum analyzer. I define the height of the spur at the lowest modulation frequency as the 0dB point on the closed-loop transfer function H(s) and then generate the rest of H(s)  by subtracting the height of the other spurs from this base value. This yields accurate measurement of the bandwidth (-3dB) but sometimes does not allow us to accurately measure peaking for well-overdamped PLLs (e.g. peaking < 0.5dB). The problem with peaking is that it can be difficult to accurately determine the 0dB point to within a few tenths of a dB. Note that you want to enable averaging on the spectrum analyzer to lower its noise floor(this was written by Dennis  from AMD in a personal conversation with me).
2. Simple bot not accurate: measure VCO open loop phase noise and PLL closed loop noise and see where they crossing each other.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.