The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 8:40am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
URGENT NEED FOR HELP: Designing a transconductor circuit and 2nd order voltage m (Read 2824 times)
OTA-Be

URGENT NEED FOR HELP: Designing a transconductor circuit and 2nd order voltage m
Dec 23rd, 2014, 11:17am

Here is my question about how to design the circuit in the attached file.
How can I design the transconductor circuit and 2nd order voltage mode low pass filter, using the designed circuit in the first step.
Mainly I want to know how to design the circuit for Vbias and Iref??? Should I design the MOSs with different W, Ls?
I need an urgent help!!!
Thanks a lot!

circuit_002.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Novaris

Re: URGENT NEED FOR HELP: Designing a transconductor circuit and 2nd order voltage m
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2014, 4:41pm

Hi

I don't understand your question. The picture shows a rather basic folded cascode OTA with seperate biasing branches for the output for (I assume) common mode regulation.

The MOS will for sure have different W and Ls. Inputs will be rather wide (if offset and speed are not critical even weak inversion), cascodes will also have high gm whereas current sources will be designed as such to have the lowest gds with the allowable output voltage range. The bias voltages for the cascodes should ensure vds of the current sources is above vdsat.

If you have a look at a MOS design book you will for sure find further information on how to design an OTA.

BR

PS:
Beware of the biasing concept: the OTA in the picture only has a gain of gm, not 2*gm, because the left output branch is neither diode connected and fed to the output nor used as an output. So only the current change in M2 affects the output, not the change on M1. A change in M1 will only shift the source voltage of the differential pair and this change goes with gm to the output.

The reference currents are limiting your slew rate so this parameter would be the disgn target.

Please post the total schematic in order to get more help.

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2014, 4:14am by Novaris »  
View Profile   IP Logged
analog_rf

Universe
Re: URGENT NEED FOR HELP: Designing a transconductor circuit and 2nd order voltage m
Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2014, 10:22am

All the bias voltages Vb1,Vb2 etc will be generated using a diode connected transistor. Feed some current into a diode connected tran and it will give out some vgs and use this as a bias to the cascode as well as main tran. Regarding Iref, you can use a const current source for the moment. In any chip Iref would be supplied by some reference generator called bandgap.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.