The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 12:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Charge Pump Noise Simulation (Read 4657 times)
Mehdi Abderezai

Charge Pump Noise Simulation
Feb 23rd, 2015, 5:40pm

Hi,
I have a question about the noise extraction of a charge pump + PFD. The published tutorial states to extract the current noise of CP when applied an offset phase to the PFD, and then convert noise current back into time Jitter by multiplying by Period/Kdet

For example, the noise is 10nA, the Period is 10ns, And the Charge Pump Delivers 50uA when turned on. That makes jitter = (10ns * 10nA)/50uA = 2ps?

And if so, this implies that if I double the period, the jitter will double, which does not make sense to me.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Charge Pump Noise Simulation
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2015, 11:25am

What you are computing is an input referred noise. By doubling the period you are also halving the gain of the PFD.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mehdi Abderezai

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2015, 11:35am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply Ken, yes I see that the gain of the PFD is halved when the period doubles, but then closed loop sim (verilog A simulation) would account for that and increase the observed jitter.

If do both, I increase the input referred PFD jitter and put it in the closed loop simulation, I feel like I would be double counting the jitter of the PFD.

-Mehdi

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2015, 3:56pm

The point is that jitter is easier to model than noise. The signal at the input of the PFD/CP is time whereas at the output it is current. In your loop simulations you need to choose where you are going to inject the noise for the PFD/CP. It is easier to model and simulate if you inject it at the input in the form of jitter than if you inject it at the output as a noise current.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.