The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 16th, 2024, 2:48am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulation for finding cgs and cgd (Read 4050 times)
vlsi_design

Simulation for finding cgs and cgd
Mar 08th, 2015, 6:23pm

Hi,
Is there any way to find cgs and cgd of transistor using simulations?
I know that AC can be done to find imaginary part but that will give cgs+cgd=cgate. I also know about DCop point and captab.

I am looking for either AC or S param sim that allows to seperate cgs and cgd

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Simulation for finding cgs and cgd
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2015, 11:06am

If you put an ac voltage on drain and measure the gate current, this will be related to cgd.  If you put the ac voltage on the source instead, this will give you cgs.  If you put the ac voltage on the gate (still measuring the gate current), this is cgs+cgd (+cgb).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vlsi_design

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2015, 7:40pm

Hi Geoffrey_Coram,
Thank you very much for the reply! I tried to simulate it but I find that Cgate < Cgs + Cgd. Actually it should be Cgate> Cgs + Cgd due to Cgb. I have attached the circuit and curves

Also why these caps decrease with frequency? Is it due to inversion layer trap phenomenon as explained in device books? But that occurs at 100KHz onward and only when inversion layer is completely isolated.

Cg_Cgs_Cgd.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
vlsi_design

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2015, 7:41pm

Here is the simple circuit

circuit_002.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2015, 7:44am

vlsi_design wrote on Mar 21st, 2015, 7:40pm:
Hi Geoffrey_Coram,
Thank you very much for the reply! I tried to simulate it but I find that Cgate < Cgs + Cgd. Actually it should be Cgate> Cgs + Cgd due to Cgb. I have attached the circuit and curves

Your plot shows Cg (M6, in green) above the other two (Cgs from M9 and Cgd from M12).

Quote:
Also why these caps decrease with frequency? Is it due to inversion layer trap phenomenon as explained in device books? But that occurs at 100KHz onward and only when inversion layer is completely isolated.

It's not the inversion layer trap phenomenon.  I think it's just a voltage-divider effect with all the different capacitors and conductances (gm, gds -- but maybe also RD,RS, and RG).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.