The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:01am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smart spice vs Hspice (Read 3283 times)
mmnair08823

Smart spice vs Hspice
Mar 12th, 2015, 3:07pm

Are there any major difference between SMART SPICE from Silvaco and HSPICE ?

The reason for the question is that I can use Silvaco utmost to extract models using the Smart Spice simulator and generate the model file and then create the HSPICE models --

Do you guys see any issue with this or if you have some lessons learned --I would appreciate it.

Thanks
MMN

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Smart spice vs Hspice
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2015, 10:33am

I'm sure the vendors would each tell you their simulator is far superior than the other ... Smiley and they are definitely different.

I think your question is really: are there significant differences in the implementations of standard models (BSIM4, etc.) between the different simulators.  Obviously, if you use a MOS model that is only supported in one simulator (eg, HSpice's level=66 HV MOS -- I'm sure there are also some in SmartSpice, but I'm not as familiar with it), then this won't be portable.  Also, if you use some non-standard parameters -- the vendors are allowed to add some extra parameters and still call their model "BSIM4" -- then this won't work.  So, be sure to use only parameters in the official documentation for your model.

The Compact Model Coalition has a set of QA tests for the standard models, which are available to its members.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mmnair08823

Re: Smart spice vs Hspice
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2015, 1:25pm

Thanks for the reply. ok will use official model manual parameter set.

regds
MMN

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.