The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 10:42am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectre results become inacurrate for long simulation (Read 1668 times)
SimonC

Spectre results become inacurrate for long simulation
Jun 28th, 2015, 7:49am

Hi,
  I am simulating a 10 bit ADC with Cadence AMS simulator using Spectre as the solver for the analog part. When I simulate the design for a short period 100 us, the output is as expected. However, when I increase the simulation time above 1 ms, the output becomes inaccurate. It displays some kind of ripple at about twice the sampling frequency. I attached screen shot of the two cases. The purple waveform is when I set the simulator to simulate for 1.024us. The yellow waveform if when I set the simulator for 65 us.
I already tried to switch between pure Spectre and APS mode. I also tried to reduce the max_step parameter down to 100 ps without any impact on the simulator output (except increasing simulation time). I am strobing the output at 1 us interval since it is a MS/s ADC. What parameter/option should I use to tell Spectre to be as accurate for a short and long simulaton?

View Profile   IP Logged
SimonC

Re: Spectre results become inacurrate for long simulation
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2015, 8:13am

I solved the issue. I had and ideal 10 bit DAC verilogA model at the output of the converter. It turns out that the default rise and fall time of the transition filter (transition(out, td, ts, tf)) for the output were set to 0. By setting them to a small value everything is correct now.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.